press for the range

L

LASER

I am old enough to know better than to say never, as I so foolishly did regarding loading at the range. As I get more serious about this entire endeavor it becomes apparent that runnin' home to try another load, or loading a bunch in the first place that you mite never need because you already found the good one, it is abundantly clear that I need a press for threaded dies to take to the range. This means that I now have to figger out the entire hauling stuff to the range set up. First things first. Please recommend a press for nothing bigger than a 6.5x47 Lapua case.
Thanks
LASER

OK another take.........

First of all I've got a Hood (same design as the Harrell's) and two portable Partners, these guys are telling you RIGHT! The Harrell/Hood is as good as it gets. GOOD STUFF..........I'm a Gadget Freak, I live for cool stuff. I have a metal range box which sets up with a Harrell powder thrower, Hood press, Small electronic scale, calipers/comparitors/dies etc for complete load workups at the range.....even carries the chronograph........

BUT...........

I've just got to put in a plug for CHEAP alternatives :) that'll still get 'er done.

I carry a couple of these "nutcracker" presses in my varmint kit and I gotta' say, SLOW and CLUMSY and UGGLEEEE but Form Follows Function and these liddle guys will make straight ammo......for under 30bucks

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=410804&t=11082005

There are others too.

Do NOT be afraid because the press is "sloppy", in fact be very chary of any advice that you get from folks who believe that a press must be "true" and "well aligned"........ These little hand jobbers WILL make benchrest quality handloads.

slowly...... clumsily even......

An RCBS Partner bolted to a board and clamped to the tailgate is faster......

And a Harrell set up right on your range box next to your thrower is truly the Cadillac Jack.....

But I always gotta' get a word in for the guy on a budget

And even SLOOWLYYYY is better than

going back home :D

al

Hard to beat...

I am old enough to know better than to say never, as I so foolishly did regarding loading at the range. As I get more serious about this entire endeavor it becomes apparent that runnin' home to try another load, or loading a bunch in the first place that you mite never need because you already found the good one, it is abundantly clear that I need a press for threaded dies to take to the range. This means that I now have to figger out the entire hauling stuff to the range set up. First things first. Please recommend a press for nothing bigger than a 6.5x47 Lapua case.
Thanks
LASER

the RCBS Partner press. Around $60 if you look. Using quality Redding dies it and the dies produce loaded rounds as good as any. --Greg

I like this quote from Boyd's article. ( knowing Boyd, Charlie and Lynnwood....:) )

"The designer of the Combo Press certainly did his homework--it's slick!"

LOL

al

Hood scope checker.

Off topic a bit...... But.

Another Charlie Hood invention that is worthy of mention is his Scope Checker. In the Scope Checker you will find a sure fire way to make sure your scope is malfunctioning before you embarrass yourself and spend the money to either send your scope in for repair or buy a new scope. I have used the Hood Scope Checker on a few occasions to prove I was blowing shots and it wasn't the scope's fault. I have also done the same for other guy's scopes. Scope manufacturers should subsidize Charlie to produce and sell the Scope Checker again.

Big +1....! Invaluable for KNOWING if the scope is functioning CORRECT.

cale

I vote for the Partner press. You can find them on ebay for about $40. I got a brand new one off ebay for $40. Sinclair has them for $74. I have two and clamp them to the bench or table with a big "C" clamp.......Don

What?

Press do you currently use you can make savings by using what you posses.
Does it produce good ammo?Or are you up grading?
Good shooting Jim

Agree w/ Jim

Jim; I agree. It's great to have all these years of experience here to tap in to & I understand the philosophy behind "don't do what I did", but unfortunately, when you are just starting out to acquire gear for the range, it's difficult to purchase "all" top of the line equipment. One needs to prioritize where best is my money spent !! For example, do I spend $60 on an RCBS Partner and another $100 on an Arbor press (assuming new purchases) or just bite the bullet on a combo... The $100 savings would buy you a nice SS Wilson Seater though???

good shooting...

Press Mount

A while back I needed to mount a Rockchucker press for use at the range. The mount I made was simple, yet extremely solid. The rear bumper of a truck usually has three holes for ball hitches. I took a piece of 3/8" steel plate and drilled holes in it to bolt to the two outer hitch holes. Then a piece of 3" pipe extended up to another 3/8" plate that had the holes to mount the press. It worked great, but now there's even a better way. These new reciever hitches would make a great new way to mount a reloading press. Just weld up some heavy wall square tubing that slides in the reciever, extend it up to the flat plate to mount the press.

Michael

A ten ton Rock Chucker

Press do you currently use you can make savings by using what you posses.
Does it produce good ammo?Or are you up grading?
Good shooting Jim

is what I got. I no longer have trucks or towing hitches etc. so mounting the heavy thing is problematic. This is so for several reasons, a blowed out back being one of them. To make a portable table strong enough to stabilise a rockchucker would probally be too heavy for me to load, unload set up etc. I was going to adapt a no longer used workmate but I discovered that I can't lift it to get it into the trunk. I'm thinking small and light. Just save for a while and buy the good stuff. I already have a Harells charger and a Ken Markle arbor press. Probally go with the combo. My wife will just have to work more overtime. The rock chucker is a good press and If someone could give me a desigh for a lighter table I would be a happy dude. So would my wife.(dudette?) Thanks
LASER

is what I got. I no longer have trucks or towing hitches etc. so mounting the heavy thing is problematic. This is so for several reasons, a blowed out back being one of them. To make a portable table strong enough to stabilise a rockchucker would probally be too heavy for me to load, unload set up etc. I was going to adapt a no longer used workmate but I discovered that I can't lift it to get it into the trunk. I'm thinking small and light. Just save for a while and buy the good stuff. I already have a Harells charger and a Ken Markle arbor press. Probally go with the combo. My wife will just have to work more overtime. The rock chucker is a good press and If someone could give me a desigh for a lighter table I would be a happy dude. So would my wife.(dudette?) Thanks
LASER
Lyman made a small wooden thing that would sit on a kitchen table and still allow you to full length size. I made me a couple about 40 years ago. I can sketch out some plans if you like and post them when I get home. It's really simple. After you finish loading you simply pick it up and you can set it on a closet shelf. No clamps needed.

If

you can actually use the arbor side of a combo,I take my hat off to you.If you cant have any feel when seating booooooollets why talk about neck tension.I have a real trust deal worked out with myself if it don't feel good it ain't.If you have no feel how can you tell?not knocking harrels i like there powder thrower .but tell me when your seating bullets you have a nice smooth feel?????????????? be real its a convenient flat easily packed press that you saw last match.
good luck & good shooting Jim

Mickey ...

Lyman made a small wooden thing that would sit on a kitchen table and still allow you to full length size. I made me a couple about 40 years ago. I can sketch out some plans if you like and post them when I get home. It's really simple. After you finish loading you simply pick it up and you can set it on a closet shelf. No clamps needed.

Is this what you may be describing ??? http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=RERPAP&item=09-820&type=store Art

Back