Preserving Super Glues?

RCE1

Anybody have some good tips for preserving opened containers of cyanoacrilate adhesives? I had to buy a 1 oz bottle of Black Max (Grainger didn't have the 3 ml tubes in stock) and would like very much to be able to use all the glue inside, rather than having it dry up like every other bottle of super glue I've ever owned, even though I am pretty careful to close the containers back up again.

I was reading on a website to store it in a glass container with dessicant packs inside, since it's humidity that causes CA adhesives to cure. The bottle says to refrigerate, but the aforementioned website says to avoid refrigeration because of potential condensation causing premature curing. Any thoughts?

Anybody have some good tips for preserving opened containers of cyanoacrilate adhesives? I had to buy a 1 oz bottle of Black Max (Grainger didn't have the 3 ml tubes in stock) and would like very much to be able to use all the glue inside, rather than having it dry up like every other bottle of super glue I've ever owned, even though I am pretty careful to close the containers back up again.

I was reading on a website to store it in a glass container with dessicant packs inside, since it's humidity that causes CA adhesives to cure. The bottle says to refrigerate, but the aforementioned website says to avoid refrigeration because of potential condensation causing premature curing. Any thoughts?

Good post/question. I have never been able to preserve opened ca containers.

Its my understanding this is the reason that ca is usually only sold in small quantity containers because of the cure volitility.

Dessicant sounds as good a solution as any to try.............Don

I mostly use Thick CA and that keeps in the refrigerator quite a long time. Years...

I keep it high in the fridge, in the butter cupboard. Mines been out and used more times than I can count. I also keep the accelerator in the fridge too. Though that stuff evaporates no matter what you do with it to keep it closed.

If you're using thin CA, I'd suggest getting small amounts and just buy more when it's hoofed.

Put it in a ziplock bag before freezing it. When you take it out, leave it in the bag until it warms up to room temp. I've been using a bottle like that for ??? years.

Jim

I was just thinking about building another plane so I checked my CA that I've had in the freezer for the last 5 to 10+ years. Still works like a champ!
Zip lock bag, bring it out and let it warm up. New or opened bottles, both good to go. Keep it off your fingers. :D

Ca In Freezer

I am a shooter and a modler. I have had CA in the freezer for 15-20
years and yes, it still works.

Ted :)

I just wanted to thank you'se guys for the tips....... ca storage has been such a pain for me that I've just bought it in bulk ....... and had whole CASES go bad :rolleyes:

This is good news, now I can put my ca glues and honeys and hots in the freeze and keep 'em!

AWEsome....

al

Back