Polishing McMillan stock

Melvin Calliham

Does anyone have any ideas on how to polish the McMillan molded in color stocks? I have one with the molded -in swirl with some scratches, and I would like to make it look purty!
Melvin

I have used 600 grit W/D and a buffing wheel with white rouge to buff out some scratches. Be careful, the gel coat isn't real thick in some spots.

To do it properly it takes some real time and some real elbow grease! I start with 600 wet dry sand paper to get the bigger deeper scratches out. Be careful because you can go to deep. Then i go with a 1000 or 1200 wet dry paper. After i am satisfied with that i go to 2000 grit wet dry. " by the way i always wet sand" then i finish up with a 2500 grit wet sand. After i am done with the sand paper i take the stock to the buffing wheel. I use a 3M product that fist buffs, and then another 3M product that polishes. Like i said it takes some time but if done properly it is worth the work! Good luck! Lee

I have used the multiple grits and also used the buffing compound that car painters use. works great

No real use for auto clear if the stock is full of scratches and every Mcmillan stock i have seen were full of scratches. Lee

Wife and I were in Phoenix in April. One afternoon I decided we'd visit McMillan. Pulled up to the plant, parked and caught a gentleman, Dick, if I recall correctly, just finishing a smoke and the newspaper on the picnic bench.

I get lucky often. Dick is the general manager. I told him I wanted to refinish a stock. He spent 15 min explaining how and answering my questions.

Just sand her down, prime w/ good fiberglas primer and then paint, and finish w/ some seal coat. He insisted that if you dont like your stock-paint it. And if you still dont like it-repaint it--"It is only paint" and can be redone.

No two multi color McMillans are alike. The color is about the consistance of toothpaste and is compressed in the process. Thus the 'swirls' in the colors.

They will repaint for you-any McMillan stock-a few stock colors.

Back