PO Ackley Resources

Tony C

I've been thinking about buying Ackley's Handbook. Before doing so, are there any sites on the web that give one a glimpse or preview of his writings? I think I remember an article in Precision Shooting about the Improved cartridges, but I'll have to locate it.

Thanks,
Tony Carpenter

I've been thinking about buying Ackley's Handbook. Before doing so, are there any sites on the web that give one a glimpse or preview of his writings? I think I remember an article in Precision Shooting about the Improved cartridges, but I'll have to locate it.

Thanks,
Tony Carpenter

Tony,i have both vol.1 and vol.2 of Ackley's handbooks.
They are very interesting,but nothing new that most don't already know.
The one case he talked about way back then was the 20/222 mag.
He stated,that using the 20/222 that the .222 mag case would make a better cartridge,so today we have the .204 Ruger

Tony,

PO's books cover a lot more ground than just the Ackley cartridges. I found them fascinating.

Howsabout ordering them up through the local library?

al

Good idea Al. Our local branch doesn't have a huge selection, but maybe they can get items from other places.

Tony Carpenter

Tony C

The typical small town library pulls books from a nationwide pool. Because the USPS has a "book rate" this means that you can access books for free because the post office ships them around the country at a serious loss. You can access material that's been out of print, is hideously expensive or is extremely rare for other reasons......... for FREE! I buy a lot of books, have over 3000 on the shelves here, and it's sometimes tempting to just NOT RETURN some of these treasures and pay the fine. You can check out "Hell I Was There" in library bound hardcover, keep it and pay a fine of $20.00. The same book would cost you $150.00 to buy, if you're lucky. I checked out a copy of Joseph Wharton Lippincott's "Wolf King"...... great condition, First etc...... Shop this book online to see them starting at $450.00 with a good First Ed running over 700. I paid $425.00 for a nasty reprinted copy. Another one is Sven Nordqvist's childrens books. If you've got little kids or grandkids you gotta' see this stuff (Well, at least if you're familiar with the Midwest... :) ) The library system has hundreds of them available but I'm paying upwards of 50 bucks a copy for his Festus and Mercury books.

I growed up with a library card.... we were issued cards in first grade and by third grade the Bookmobile stopped at my house every week in the summer! Our book limit was 20/week.... there were 4 of us.......

al

The one case he talked about way back then was the 20/222 mag.
He stated,that using the 20/222 that the .222 mag case would make a better cartridge,so today we have the .204 Ruger

Roger

Denny Phillips had an extra set that he sold me for a very reasonable price. Some great stuff!!!!!!!!!

Roger, you are exactly right about the .204 Ruger. Ackley also said the .308 case is right on for a .270 caliber.

The section on blowups should be read by every shooter, and there was a time when a dollar was worth 100 cents.

Tony

Do not use the loading data contained in these two books! It is bad JUJU.

Why's that Big Al?

You gotta' do better than "bad juju".

I've found PO's reloading advice to be sound.

Now, if you're the sort of folk who just grabs his MAX load right off the bat.......well DUHHHHH!!!! His loads tended to run up to the hot side (as do my own) and of course powder variation through the years means that you MUST start low......as PO says unless I'm mis-remembering.

al

Bi Al

Which specific data is bad? I think it's good practice to refer to at least two or three credible reloading sources before going with anything.

Tony

:confused:

P.O. Ackley

Tony,

PO's books cover a lot more ground than just the Ackley cartridges. I found them fascinating.

Howsabout ordering them up through the local library?

al

What makes them even more fascinating is the time period in which he developed his improved cartridges. There were no computer models and other tools we take for granted. Through the ages there are always visionaries that transcend the status quo and Mr. Ackley was one of them.
Chino69

Ray Riling has such a diclaimer on the books. I have only had the set since 1975 and for the wildcats there is no cross reference of Data. I have had problems with the 6.5/06 recomendatios. I had Ken Howell tell me the same about the dangers of the data in a conversation where I mentioned I thought the data was vary hot. As I recall their was a disclaimer either at Brownell's or from PS magazine when they were being sold.

I love the text and think they are the best source about bullets for big game and how they should work as I've ever read.

Of course I allways start at the top of any published load and work up until the rifle is blown to peices and I'm badly injured. Since I lost the sight in both eyes due to rifle actions blowing up in my face. I thought this was how it was done?:D

:D

Reminds me of Calvin and Hobbes....

Calvin: "Dad, how do they rate bridges?"

Dad: "Well son, they just keep driving heavier trucks over them until they collapse and then back off and rebuild the bridge....."

Mom: "What are you teaching the boy!!"

Or when I was learning to catch Steelhead....... "Well son, ya' gotta' set the hook JUUST before you feel 'em ....."

LOL

al

Back