Please help me identify this rifle!! Rare??

Ceow717

Here’s what I know:

Winchester Model 70
.22-250
Benchrest shooter
Water cooler barrel.
Yes I said water cooled... I’ve scoured the internet and talked to everyone I know. I’ve been told there’s always someone on here that can identify anything. Here’s the test!

https://m.imgur.com/a/2zhz2GK

I think it's a varmint rifle modified for use on a setup like the old "War Wagon" for high-volume Richardson's ground squeerrel shooting...... a water pumped sagerat setup.

I'd consider it shot clean out for starters and it's definitely not a "benchrest rifle" as defined here.

Your brave Al, clicking on a link from a guy with 1 post.

The spammers have been relentless lately.

Joe

I think it's a varmint rifle modified for use on a setup like the old "War Wagon" for high-volume Richardson's ground squeerrel shooting...... a water pumped sagerat setup.

I'd consider it shot clean out for starters and it's definitely not a "benchrest rifle" as defined here.

I appreciate your response but maybe I could get it in “I don’t know anything about benchrest” English?

How is it not a benchrest rifle? It’s heavy as hell and has a benchrest stock?

How is it not a benchrest rifle? It’s heavy as hell and has a benchrest stock?

I've been a member of 24hr Campfire for over 15years. I guess I missed your posts. It may qualify for the unlimited class, but would be far from competitive. Even in the olden days it would not have been competitive. As mentioned, it is a rat or PD rifle.

That stock is not a benchrest stock. Do some research.

You could always help educate me rather than try and make me look dumb. I literally just said I don’t know anything about benchrest shooting. If someone asks me a question about a field that I am knowledgeable and I try to help them or at least point them in the right direction rather than just tell them the verbiage that they are using is wrong and they should do some more research. “There’s no such thing as a stupid question”

Thanks.

While it's not a true Benchrest competition gun, it's certainly a heavy rig meant to shoot from a bench. Looks like a lot of work and thought went into it. -Al

While it's not a true Benchrest competition gun, it's certainly a heavy rig meant to shoot from a bench. Looks like a lot of work and thought went into it. -Al

I appreciate that. Could you define “benchrest gun” for me? I guess I made a leap in thinking that a gun made to be shot from a rest on a bench was in fact a “benchrest gun”. Clearly that is not the case, so what’s the legal definition?

This is what prompted me to answer in the manner I did. You made it sound like you knew what you were talking about and we didn't.

Negative Ghost Rider... that was a legitimate question. I do however realize this is the internet and everyone is going to assume you’re being a douche no matter how you phrase things. Lol.

Your brave Al, clicking on a link from a guy with 1 post.

The spammers have been relentless lately.

Joe

Now that the thread is clicking along........

No, I'm not "brave".

"Bravery" is generally a form of stupid which has as it's root insecurity.

I'm discerning, I'm completely comfortable that I know a bot from a spammer from a human. Ceow717 is human on many levels.

Now that the thread is clicking along........

No, I'm not "brave".

I'm discerning, I'm completely comfortable that I know a bot from a spammer from a human. Ceow717 is human on many levels.

I guess that comes from getting your own you tube channel.

That is the most stupid definition of Bravery I have ever heard. You have never seen bravery.

It's heavy and you shoot it "from the bench". SO, that makes it a bench rest gun. :cool:
Competitive ? Probably not but still fun to shoot.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So is being a bench rest gun.:D

I appreciate that. Could you define “benchrest gun” for me? I guess I made a leap in thinking that a gun made to be shot from a rest on a bench was in fact a “benchrest gun”. Clearly that is not the case, so what’s the legal definition?

When we speak of a Benchrest gun, it's accepted that it's a rifle that has been built specifically for, and meets the rules of, either the NBRSA and/or the IBS. Both organizations hold registered tournaments and a Benchrest gun must meet the rules set down by them in order for the rifles to compete....weight, scope power, etc, etc. In other words, it's Benchrest with a capital B.

There are many, many casual 'benchrest' (note the small 'b') events all over that encourage open competition and rifle accuracy.

Have fun with your rig and keep enjoying working with accurate rifles! :) -Al

Back