Pinning Recoil Lug

Frank B

When I had my Rem. action trued and barreled five years ago my gunsmith asked if I wanted the lug pinned. I asked him why. I think he said it was to insure that the lug would be in the right place in the bedding when changing barrels. I thought it was for shooters that changed barrels frequently so I passed on having it done. A new barrel and reamer are on the way. Can the lug still be pinned to insure a perfect fit in my bedding? Thanks. Later! Frank

Newbie here,

But, I would say no. pin the lug while your changing the barrel, grind a little of the old bedding out and skim bed.

Let the beatings begin.

Med.

Last edited:
I now use a lug alignment jig on the bottom of the 700 action when tightening the barrel. It holds the lug correctly... no pins required. I have found some pins shear and/or the hole in the action distorts somewhat.

I over came that by placing a very small amount of 120 grit abrasive on the action face... that locks the lug to the action when torquing it tight using the alignment jig.

I don't bother with the pins at all anymore.

If your lug was bedded with clearance on the bottom and sides this alignment jig is accurate enough for repeat barrel swaps... the key in your scenario is how true was the lug installed, was an alignment jig used?

Thats all fine but if you want to swap barrels without removing the action from the stock the pinned lug is nice, maybe not necessary, but nice.

Gary

Thanks for the replies. All I am concerned about is getting the new barreled action back in the same place one time only. It will be several years, maybe never, before this one will come off. The bedding is absolutely perfect. I can take action out of the stock, re-install it and have it shoot in the same place. I don't know how the smith that put this gun together aligned the lug. Shortly after he did the work for me his wife divorced him. She threw him out lock, stock and all his machinery. He never found a place to set up shop again. I heard he bought a Harley, found a biker Maw and left the country. I am working with a new smith that is suppose to be better than the other one. Again, thanks. Later! Frank

I now use a lug alignment jig on the bottom of the 700 action when tightening the barrel. It holds the lug correctly... no pins required. I have found some pins shear and/or the hole in the action distorts somewhat.

I over came that by placing a very small amount of 120 grit abrasive on the action face... that locks the lug to the action when torquing it tight using the alignment jig.

I don't bother with the pins at all anymore.

If your lug was bedded with clearance on the bottom and sides this alignment jig is accurate enough for repeat barrel swaps... the key in your scenario is how true was the lug installed, was an alignment jig used?

Hi Dennis, which alignment tool do you use?
Regards, Mike

Hi Dennis, which alignment tool do you use?
Regards, Mike

The brand starts with "K" I think... I bought a couple from Brownells... one I altered and it does two different lugs Holland and a thicker lug, and one does Remington lugs. They attach with the front action screw and I use an internal 'spade' wrench for the action.

Back