Pin strike

Old1942

When tuning rimfire bench rifle, what tool do we use to measure pin strike depth? What brand what model? Would like to have one to use at the bench.i

Measuring Pin strike depth

This is a way to measure pin strike depth. There are many others, but this is the way I do it when I have fired cases to work with.

I have ground a fine point on the end of my indicator so it will get to the bottom of the strike. Some strikes are so small you need a sharp point.

I move the indicator, so the point rests on the center of the case. Write down the reading or just zero the gauge. Then move the point to the bottom of the strike and note the indicator reading.

The case is mounted into a cut off chambered barrel end. It holds the case.

I'm looking for a couple of things. The depth of each strike and I like to measure at least 50 when I have them. Of course, I'm hoping to find them all the same.

Another thing I look for is where the strike occurs from strike to strike.

In this example I'm using a crescent pin strike. Sorry the pics aren't better.

pinstrike cresent.jpg pinstrike 2.jpg

This next pic is what I crescent strike looks like compared to a chisel strike.

cresent vs chisel.jpg

TKH (4628)

While the barreled action is in the lathe I put an indicator on the back of the bolt with the fp resting on the case with a pulled bullet & dumped powder of course. My zero will be ,200. Cock the bolt(this will give fp travel) & fire it. Where the indicator stops under .200 is my measurement.

Keith

Last edited:
Back