PIC: Scratched lugs...best way to fix?

robertb

This is from a new Remington 700 out of the box. It appears that metal shavings were still in the lug area when the bolt was rotated. The back of the lugs look good as well as the bolt face. However, the side of the lugs are scratched up. What is the best way to polish/buff out?

photo.jpg

Whacha do is to grab the body of the bolt in the heavily textured, hardened jaws of a vise, pound the handle real tight with a large hammer, get out a coarse file and dress those suckers down, and then buff the entire head with some really coarse compound, being sure to round off all the corners ;-) Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Perhaps a little cold blue with make it look better. I agree with Gene. BTW, I think that the dimple is evidence that they confirmed the hardness of the lugs.

make sure there are no further shavings by cleaning the recess area with a good action cleaning kit and then you will be good to go. Those scratches won't affect accuracy in any way...unless you think they will then there's no telling what they will be responsible for! In other words it's no biggie.
If you do feel that you need to clean it up I would use something like flitz or 4-0 steel wool, but make sure you cover the firing pin hole and clean the lugs real well after use. Apply an appropriate bolt grease to the back of the lugs, the cocking ramp on the bolt handle, and you will be good to go.

Probably caused by burr from front action hole.....deburr with dremel..... or just shine up bolt with emery cloth.... not lugs.... just lug O.D.

Thanks for the responses. This is a new rig that will be used by my son this year to deer hunt. I always clean a new rig before trying it out and this is what I found when I went to do so. After trying some initial loads, I have to say it is definitely minute of deer. No BR rig by any means but three 3-shot groups were within .75 MOA at 100 yards. I'll leave it the way it is. Thanks

Back