Phoenix Airgun acquires electron microscope from the University of Arizona

garrettkq

Phoenix Airgun acquires electron microscope from the University of Arizona for the sole use in scanning holes produced by lead projectiles.
We are testing to determine if the fibers of paper are inconsistent in diameter and roundness. There has been some hypothesis made that the roundness vs oval-shape vs lengths of the paper fiber causes a deflection in the pellet once it hits the paper.
Scans have indicated that paper variances of several carbon molecules may impact a 10 vs an X score. We have teams of shooters across the continents waiting for the data.
There also has been some discussion in the circles that the ink application on the paper may impact the tearability of the paper, essentially holding the paper together and robing soothers of the X counts they deserve. Spectral analysis of the inks are pending by several undisclosed laboratories to determine if foul play is suggested by the use of increased bonding properties of the said inks in question. The electron scans have indicated that the paper fibers have a rebounding property that is causing some of the fibers to re-mend into its original positions after tearing by a lead projectile. We have brought this to the attention of the major sanctioning bodies, and national security agencies as this may lead to an international incident.
Further analysis of paper fiber weaving patters only seen my the microscope are revealing that the strength of this pattern is causing domed head pellets to roll upon impact. This is causing an uproar as well, hence finding out that shooters are at an advantage if the projectile rolls inward causing an increase in scoring patterns based on tear diameters. We have recommended that all Light Varmint matches be put on hold until we investigate this phenomenon further as the slower velocities are more prone to this.

We sincerely apologize if this has caused any inconveniences, misunderstandings, or miss anythings, as we are doing our best to determine the best scoring practices and techniques.

Kindest,

Garrett

Stop press

After the expense and complex logistics of this research study to date - it is regrettable that a more thorough literature review has turned up a 150 year old study (predating early electron-microscopy) that indicates that target paper with a matrix shear strength of less than 600 psi and density of approx 1 gm/cc is incapable of deflecting commonly used pellets at velocities greater than 300 fps ( which exceeds common AR LV down-range target velocities ).

It appears that the force required to overcome the shear strength of the target matrix is independent of projectile velocity at velocities above 300 fps. : This force Fs = Q x C0, where Q = the frontal area of the projectile and C0 = the compressive shear strength of the matrix.
However, at velocities below 300 fps (in the case in question) the drag experienced by the projectile in displacing a matrix appears to be proportional to the square of velocity: This drag force Fh = .5 x Q x C1 x V^2, where C1 = the density of the target matrix and V = projectile velocity.

So we may stop fretting about target paper cell structure and bonding agents providing essentially we keep our LV muzzle velocity above approx 350 fps to give a target velocity of 300 fps or higher.

Further research into this phenomenon by Team Arizona will now be suspended and the equipment returned to the U of A laboratory. Research grants will also be returned to the granting authorities along with an apology for the indiscretions relating to basic literature reviews which did not extend back beyond Benchrest Central Forum discussions. The apology is also extended to the great 19 th century French mathematician, Jean Victor Poncelet deceased , for overlooking his groundbreaking research.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's refreshing to see that in the midst of all this controversy, that everyone has not lost their sense of humor. Put me down for a grant to test petroleum based versus non-petroleum based lubricants.

Does anyone else marvel at our attempts to put a tiny lead pellet into a only slightly larger 10 ring with nothing more than a pulse of air? And look at how far we have come. Sorry, too serious for his thread.

With all the hoopla over scoring, how, with what, paper type, pellet velocity and so on I did have a fun moment. While telling a shooting buddy who is a Marine corp Sniper about our scoring dispute, with a straight face he looks at me and says "Well if you guys shot better you would not have this problem". I just didn't respond.

Thank you to your friend for his service. Invite him to shoot a card, outside, then sit back and wait for the response.

Stop the press

Friend Harry, so pleased to see your data concerning this pressing problem. It is comforting to know that great minds tend to parallel.

Please know your findings mirrored my research completely when preparing my 1969 Thesis on Trebuchet Long Distance Extreme Accuracy Impact Dispersion. Granite vs Adobe walls.

Keep up the great work!

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:
Back