PGW Coyote actions

M

matt wolf

Has anyone here worked on the single shot version of these actions? I've got one of the early versions, and have some questions about bedding for someone w/ experience with them.
100_0729.jpg

100_0726.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone here worked on the single shot version of these actions? I've got one of the early versions, and have some questions about bedding for someone w/ experience with them.

Hummmm,

Looks like a sleeved Remington XP action or even a 700 action...

Three intregal recoil lugs.... This maker didn't want this action to go NO WHERE's in the stock...:D

Had to hog out a recess for the Jewel's safety lever..Hu.

Never heard of PGW mabe the Sleeve maker...???

Hum... Guess your not shooting Benchrest with it... I'd just bolt it into the stock (Looks like its bedded for that action with pillers as well...? Kinda looks like it from the pic's) and see how it shoots... The action should fit nice and tight in it's bedding NO movement nowhere..! No forceing either... You'll know.
Go to a snug tight on the action screws... If no pillers be careful on tightness..I'll bet there is at least a front piller in that stock.

If all is well it ought'a shoot well.

cale

Last edited by a moderator:
A bit of background. The action is a propriatory 2 lug action w/ integral scope rail, and a significant footprint. PGW is Prarie Gun Works of Winnipeg Manitoba. Their recent claim to fame is supplying the Canadian forces w/ sniping systems.
I bought the rifle in question as a .284 f class rifle, and had it rebarrelled to 308 for F/TR. The rifle shoots well, but not outstanding, and I'm having a hard time figuring out if it's a load issue or a rifle issue. Finding a 'smith in eastern Canada to give the rifle an frank appraisal is tough.
rifle specs- 1-12" broughton 5C med. palma tube, PTG Bisley reamer w/ .341 neck, Jewell trigger, A5 stock.

Well, to me, it looks as...............

though there is ONE pillar, & that's that multi-lugged one right where the screw comes in from the bottom. I guess if one lug is good, mo is bettah, just as with scope ring screws(but its not!!). Anyway, now that someone has built you an action with top AND bottom Picatinny rails, what I'd do is to take some blacking(Brownell's)and thinly put some on the bottom of the receiver to check for bearing, so, tighten the screws, then carefully remove them, then lift the receiver straight up out from the stock (the stock being snugged in one to two vises, simultaneously), the object would be to see if they ALL bear evenly. I doubt they will. Personally, I'm not a believer of multi-lug recoil lugs, if it were mine, I'd make sure that: Only the lug with the screw hole would bear on the bottom & the rear. (Also, the screws wouldn't touch anywhere, & if the aluminum plate where the forward screw comes up is threaded, I'd drill that out so both screws had clearance; otherwise, the screw becomes the recoil lug.) The other two, I'd mask them off so they ONLY touched on the rear. I think the action would be much better if the lugs were forward of the screw, rather than the screw in the lug; But, what do I know???
If they don't all bear evenly, I'd rebed the stock entirely as I specified previously, or, use it as your mediocre gun this summer, then in the fall, after its THORoughly hacked you off all summer, you'll probably have your mind WELL made up as to what & how you'll do it later :D. One question that's been burning in my ol' curiosity locker is: Do you REALLY like it??? If so, its the bestest one out there. Good Luck:)

matt
I don't believe the rifle has any pillows. I believe the front of the action part is a bedding block - nothing goes to the bottom of the stock. That is a action that I would like to have one like. I'm sorry I can't help you with the accuracy problem but that is a very well made action. Bedding is where I would look first.

Glenn

Here are the specs on the rifle.

PGWDTI TIMBERWOLF TACTICALTM - This rifle represents the apex of modern sniper weapons system. The design and construction of this product is the culmination of several years of research and development performed in conjunction with tactical operators. The results have spoken for themselves during both formal and informal Military, Law Enforcement and civilian testing.

The primary chambering of this rifle is in .338 Lapua with other magnum chamberings available.

• Backed by Colt Canada Sales and Service
• Precision CNC construction
• Stainless receiver and Chrome Molybdenum bolt
• Available in Titanium as well as Stainless
configurations
• One piece bolt with 3 locking lugs (2 front 1 rear)
• Helical bolt fluting
• Detachable five shot magazines in .338 Lapua
Titanium Cantilever Monoblock bedding
• 4 recoil lug points (3 front 1 rear)
• Fully adjustable trigger (Jewell, Remington, etc.)
• 5/16X24 TPI action screws
• 40 minute Titanium rail affixed via a guide rib
• 3 position safety
• Double plunger ejectors and hook type extractor
• Wire EDM formed lugways
• Large, knurled tactical type bolt handle
• Also available in single shot configurations
• Match grade barrel with helical fluting
• Tactical Titanium side port muzzle brake
• Suppressor compatible
• Custom Teflon finish
• All A series McMillan Fiberglass Stocks available
• PGWDTITM deployment kit available
• Operator's manual included

Glenn

I think the action is very well made. The question is the bedding done well, and how carefully the barrelling job was done. I've got a 'smtih I trust lined up to give it a thorough going over in a couple of weeks.

Here's a picture of the PGWDTI Timberwolf, .338LM, as issued to the Canadian Snipers. Nomenclature C14. Missing in the picture is the suppressor. This one belongs to me. The actions were designed by them.

HPIM1272.jpg

Also here's a picture of my PGWDTI Coyote.

HPIM1286.jpg

These 2 rifles were purchased directly from PGWDTI.

They've gotten much beefier since the early days. The current Coyotes have lots more metal than mine. I don't think they produce many single shot versions either.

• One piece bolt with 3 locking lugs (2 front 1 rear)

Don
The bolt handle notch could be what they are talking about for the rear lug! From what I have read the rear lug is normally a safety lug and doesn't wipe like the front lugs.

Glenn

Matt, I have the first Coyote built. Ross and collaborated on it. I wrote it up in PS magazine. It is a single shot. Flat bottom, no integral recoil lugs. It is a glue in, full tilt BR rifle. Ross scaled it up to become the Timberwolf. I understand later and current production is quite a bit different than my original action. Bolt is .750 now instead of .700.

Hard to say what may be happening with yours. When you say the rifle shoots well, but not outstanding, can you give us a bit more info as to what it is doing?

Rick

"Fer cry'n out loud"......

It sure as heck isn't a sleeved Remington, anymore than a Stolle Panda, BAT Machine, or any other custom action is, fer crying out loud.

Yep.... Pretty darn nice fer sure.......... Just the original pic "looks" like a sleeved action.... Obviously it ain't...!

RePete........ VERY NICE............! :)

Need good pillers in that stock... No glue-in here..!

Yes Glenn, I believe the "3rd lug" is the non contact safety lug.

cale

I have one in the shop now. The action has draft on the sides but not on the tang or the recoil lugs. It also has a sand blasted very rough finish. It also has the recoil block which is not a very precise fit.

If I had my choice I would not use the recoil block. I would add draft to the tang and front of the recoil lugs. I would consider removing two of the three lugs. I would polish up the action below the stock line so the bedding would not be abraded when the action is pulled. With draft where needed I would bed it solid all around. I would not alter the action for a safety (don't remember if the action I have is cut for a safety) open the bolt for a safety, duh.

But it's not mine and we will see what the owner says.

Thanks Ian,

It was good to meet you last weekend, if only for a moment. Lovely weather, wasn't it? Your comments pretty much confirm what I've been thinking. Might have to upgrade the stock while I'm at it.;)

Back