Palma?

B

bucksnort2

Does the Savage Palma rifle have a chamber that will only fire the 155-gr Palma bullets? Can I fire 175-gr bullets for F-class or F/TR? Thanks.

1 in 13 should be fine for the Sierra 175. The 154 Lapua is longer and 13 stabilizes it just fine. In fact, I have fired 175's in a 14 with good results. Regards, Bill

I've shot Sierra 2275 Match Kings (175gr) out of a 30 inch 15 twist with fine results at 1K. Once. Surprised me though. Didn't expect it. It was warm weather at the time, about 90 F and 7-800 ft elevation (Butner).

You might be able to shoot even 185gr Bergers out of Savage 13 twist, especially if it's warm weather. Worth a try.

The Savage 12 Palma rifle has a chamber with a pretty short throat - essentially a WTC95 Palma chamber. It should be fine for up to 175s, but you might end up with them stuffed back in the case a bit more than you would otherwise want. While the 1-13" twist might stabilize a Berger 185... the bullet would likely be taking up enough of your case capacity that you probably won't be able to reach the velocities you may be hearing others hitting, at least not with the same powders. The 12 Palma should be fine with bullets like the B155.5BT, S2156MK, B168VLD, etc.

From what I've read, the Savage barrels are fairly easy to swap out with some other brand (Kreiger, Shillen, etc). Any case, it might be worth a try. Thanks.

Shilen, Lothar-Walther, McGowan, Pac-Nor... even Rock Creek, yes. Krieger... not so much. You can get a Criterion pre-fit (essentially a button rifled Krieger) easy enough, but as far as I know, the only way to get a Krieger on there is to order a blank and have a gunsmith fit it. Whether you go with or without a shoulder at that point is up to you.

Mine shoots the Nosler and sierra 155's 2155 fine, but the 2156 looks like a shotgun pattern. It also shoots the nosler/sierra 168 well as it does the 175's. A buddy shot it at teh Navy Matches this year with issued LR ammo (175 Lake city match) at 1000yds and was pleased with its performance.

Back