Oversize dia. M70 bolt

C

CWPINST

A few years ago, I talked with a couple of guys from Va. that built rifles. They used to be armorers at Quantico. They told me that although they preferred to build rifles on the M700 action, they had good results with the M70. They said that they could get M70 bolts that were a larger diameter than stock. They then turned them down to fit a customers action. Has anyone heard of this before? If so, where can I find one of those bolts. I don't remember the guys names from Va. or else I would just call them. Their last name started with a "C" but that is all that I remember.......and they were brothers.

A few years ago, I talked with a couple of guys from Va. that built rifles. They used to be armorers at Quantico. They told me that although they preferred to build rifles on the M700 action, they had good results with the M70. They said that they could get M70 bolts that were a larger diameter than stock. They then turned them down to fit a customers action. Has anyone heard of this before? If so, where can I find one of those bolts. I don't remember the guys names from Va. or else I would just call them. Their last name started with a "C" but that is all that I remember.......and they were brothers.

Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Die will make you a bolt in the diameter you wish....

An oversize bolt in itself will add nothing to accuracy... and it is about the last step I would do in making a 700 more accurate... I don't think it is required at all in making very accurate varmint/hunting rifles...

Dittoes on what Dennis said. My big brother was an Armourer M/Sgt at Ft Sam Houston where he built many XC rifles. He always told me that he, and many of the shooters, preferred the M70 over the M700 because the bolt had a lot more play in it (sloppy) and there was never a doubt that they would not bind during the RF stages.

JMHO

Ray

Back