Opinions wanted

chino69

I just purchased two Kreiger barrels in a #18 LV contour. One is a 30" 7.5" twist 6mm, the other is a 29" 8" twist .22 CF. Methinks the 6mm is going to be chambered in a .243 A.I., as I already have the reamer. I was also considering a 6mm BR. For the .22 CF, it's going to be another .22-250 AI so that I can shoot the heavier .224 cal. bullets. The barrels are for switch barrel varmint rigs that I also like to shoot out to 500 meters for accuracy; possibly groundhog matches in the future. Any opinions, suggestions, tips will be gratefully accepted.
Chino69

opinion

Sounds like you have a plan. i have a Kreiger 9 twist 6mm ordered to build a
6MC2 that my gun smith built years ago. I have been useing shilen and pac nor barrels and I have heard nothing but good reviews about the kreiger barrels. Good luck with your builds. Larry

Kreiger barrels

Sounds like you have a plan. i have a Kreiger 9 twist 6mm ordered to build a
6MC2 that my gun smith built years ago. I have been useing shilen and pac nor barrels and I have heard nothing but good reviews about the kreiger barrels. Good luck with your builds. Larry

Larry,
These will be my first Kreigers and I'm looking forward to the experience; thanx for the response. I've had excellent results with Hart and Pac Nor and like to try new things. Is the 6MC2 you mentioned, the McPherson cartridge I've read about?
Chino69

6 x 47 Lapua

Try the 6X47 Lapua, it'll outrun the .243AI w/out working up a sweat.

al

Al,
Thanx for the reply. There are quite a few votes for the 6 X 47 Lapua. Bear in mind my barrel is a 1 in 7.5" twist. Will I be able to shoot the heavier (115 grn.) 6mm. bullets and still get enough powder in the case to go the distance? My intention would be to shoot from 95 grn. on up to the heaviest 6mm bullets at 500 meters +. I would like to compete in some of the groundhog matches and still pop live varmints.
Chino69

6 X 47 Lapua vs. .243AI

Try the 6X47 Lapua, it'll outrun the .243AI w/out working up a sweat.

al

Al,
Thanx. The 6 x 47 has many things to offer as does the 6.5 x 47. The problem, for me, with either of these choices is the additional cost of dies, brass, etc. I have a .243AI reamer, plenty of Lapua fireformed brass, custom dies, etc. If I had an unlimited budget, the 6 X 47 or the 6.5 X 47 would warrant serious consideration. Because of these limitations, I'm leaning toward the .243AI.
Chino69

Both are great wildcats. only point to consider is how fast will your bullets like to travel before blowing up?

Some VLD's just don't like going much over 3100fps. You have alot of case capacity in either cal. Of course, this means you don't need to run at full throttle but some combos don't shoot as well at lower pressures.

I really like my fast twist 223 and have no issue going out to 1km. Of course, the 22250AI goes ALOT faster but I can't say if anymore accurately (better in the wind no doubt).

I really like the 22BR/Dasher and feel that is the ideal case volume for the 80 and 90gr bullets. I always target 2900 to 3100fps as I feel that is the sweet spot for most match bullets.

My upcoming 6mm project will be based on the 243AI reamer run to 22/250 case length - headspace off a 22/250 case. A shorterned 243AI or lengthened Dasher - 40deg shoulder. You can still use all your 243AI dies, just cut off a bit off the bottom. I feel that is all the case capacity I need to go 3000fps with the 115gr as has been proven many times with the similar 6XC/ x47L. Should be able to get the 105/7gr Bergers to 3100fps or thereabouts.

Will be using Win 22/250 brass for my project.

Good luck with your project...

Jerry

Welll..... I ran the .243AI for 7yrs trying to make it work. Many barrels, 4-5 rifles and 7 different chambering reamers later I switched ever'thang over to 6BR.

2 things stand out..........the .243AI will NOT make usable pressure before the primer pockets fail, they won't shoot like they "should". And the 40* shoulder makes for some unnecessary and insurmountable sizing problems. I still have 4 .243AI barrels, the only reason that I left them as .243AI's is because they're all professionally done with nicely engraved lettering.......all of my blank .243 barrels have been converted to 6BR's, two of them are scheduled for conversion to 6X47's for use as casual and fireform barrels and to test for velocity with the shorter length.

I have a .243AI barrel that's fluted and braked, cost me 500.00, now for something like that it's hard to just hack it off and start it over because the flutes are too long. I never use it, I screw it onto the action now and then just for varminting and to use it up. It's a Shilen and it's lasting very well.

The .243I is one of the coolest looking rounds on the planet IMO, I love the look of a big ol' moly-coated 107 seated 'way out even though I only shoot moly when it's convenient.

I now shoot my .243AI's neck-size only and when they get tight I throw the brass away. I've got it dialed down to where I can ramp up the pressure (107's at prox 3050-3100) and get the pockets to fail about the time the brass gets tight. I've taken the time to ream out the necks on two of them so that they're "no-turn" just because it's hateful to spend the time neckturning on throwaway brass.

I'm still in he design/development stage with the 6X47 but so far it shows all the attributes of the 6BR but will yield a couple hundred more FPS. It's like a blown out 6BR with a neck.

The 6X47 configuration is still in its infancy but I have no reason not to believe that it will prove to be a great all-around 1000yd and varminting round.

hth

al

alinwa, sorry to hear about the issues using a 40deg shoulder. I have just the opposite experience - no problems. I prefer this sharp shoulder as it really keeps case length growth to a min.

My 6.5 and 7 Mystic have 40deg shoulders and I just bump the shoulder in a Redding die when they get a little stiff to chamber. Seems to be working fine with some cases (6.5 Mystic) at or over 20 reloads. I might have trimmed them once more during that time.

Hot loads but not over the top as primer pockets are still firm.

My 6mm project will likely use a Redding 243AI body die cut down for sizing duties.

Jerry

Back