Old Weaver Rings?

P

Propdoc03

I am helping a buddy out who is on a tight budget. His eyes are fading and his knees have gone south so he is trying to set up his stock Savage 110 270 with a high powered scope for our small deer. He is hoping to get into good enough shooting shape so that he can reach out to 500 yards. I have a NIB 24X BSA that I am donating to him. His rifle has the old style Weaver mounts that has only the two screws on the one side. Will these hold the scope okay and any thoughts on the scope handling the recoil of his rifle?
We ordered some 150grn Sierra Game Kings for this project.

Thanks,
Dennis

Weaver rings with the hook on the left side and two screws on the right side should hold the scope fine. The only problem I've found with them (aside from scraping the finish on the scope) is that when the screws are tightened the top of the ring tends to rotate the scope in the direction of the screws. It takes some fiddling, but if the scope is set into bottom halves of the rings rotated a bit to the left when the screws are tightened down they'll pull the scope square with the world. It may take a try or two, otherwise there should be no problem holding the scope.

Exactly what larry said about turning the scope while tightening...just buy a new set of weaver rings and save your frustration!!!!

Sounds like a poor choice of scope for a deer rifle, and the 150 grainers dont suit small deer at long range.
Sorry,I didnt want to be negative but I feel you are heading down the wrong track.

Back