Old Russian ammo help

Butch Lambert

I have about 1500 rounds of Russian Temp in the white box and about the same of red box Temn. Would this be decent practice ammo for the young man that we are helping? He is into the 3 pos NRA and CMP shooting. We've arranged a Feinwerkebau 2700 rifle for him. Think it just showed up at his designated gunshop.
Young John is a LH shooter and has been shooting a RH Ruger American and surprisingly well with it.
I know this is RF, but not 3pos RF, bt you know RF and ammo. Thanks for your help.

I have about 1500 rounds of Russian Temp in the white box and about the same of red box Temn. Would this be decent practice ammo for the young man that we are helping? He is into the 3 pos NRA and CMP shooting. We've arranged a Feinwerkebau 2700 rifle for him. Think it just showed up at his designated gunshop.
Young John is a LH shooter and has been shooting a RH Ruger American and surprisingly well with it.
I know this is RF, but not 3pos RF, bt you know RF and ammo. Thanks for your help.

Butch,
I think I might save the Russian stuff for matches. Back in the day that stuff was hard to beat.
Get some Wolfe or Practice Eley compare how it shoots before you waste the better stuff. All rimfire is an ammo chase. There is some really good Eley match and Tenex available now.
TKH

I will let him know that. I have some Junior and Sniper also beside some old Eley Tenex that I bought from Herb Gibson about 25 years ago. Do you know anything about the Fiocchi V315 pistol Super Match. I have 3 bricks of it also. Only rimfire I shoot is my 2 wood stock 40X customs and a couple old Mod 37s that I have. My wife shoots her 10/22, but it doesn't like the low velocity stuff. I am sending him a brick of SK standard plus also.
Thanks for all the help. I acquired a lot of the Russian many years ago and it has just set. I think I have some Olimp?

Last edited:
Don’t assume

In January a fellow shooter brought out a box Eley (paperbox) that has always been properly stored. The bullets were crumbling.
I don’t know the history of the Tenex but I bought some older Tenex and the lube was flaky and hard.
All I’m saying is check it before you shoot it.

In January a fellow shooter brought out a box Eley (paperbox) that has always been properly stored. The bullets were crumbling.
I don’t know the history of the Tenex but I bought some older Tenex and the lube was flaky and hard.
All I’m saying is check it before you shoot it.

Thank you.

You can't practice with anything other than the best ammo you have. To expand, I'll use an extreme example - Would you practice for a group match with a lever action 30-30?

We need to send more money for ammo!

Last edited:
You can't practice with anything other than the best ammo you have. To expand, I'll use an extreme example - Would you practice for a group match with a lever action 30-30?

We need to send more money for ammo!

Wilbur, I agree except for a couple reasons. He is shooting 3 pos and not group and he doesn't have enough funds use Eley for all of his practice.

I suppose

if you find cheaper ammo that will do 1" at 50 yds vs. say 10X doing .5" or less at same distance, when you practice 3 position and can keep your shots around 1" with the cheaper practice ammo its a good bet you and your rifle are performing well. After all, most practice is about developing technique, repeatable, consistent technique once you know what your ammo is capable of in your rifle.

Back