Old benchrest rifle Value

akajun

Found an old Benchrest rig for sale locally with a 15 x 2"Unertl Scope. Gun is a sleeved Remington xp100/600/660 action in a Shilen sleeve. Has a stainless barrel and is in .222.5 caliber. Stock is an early laminate made of three pieces of wood as opposed to the modern "plywood" thin layers of today. I just want the scope, what would the rifle sell for, roughly?

Found an old Benchrest rig for sale locally with a 15 x 2"Unertl Scope. Gun is a sleeved Remington xp100/600/660 action in a Shilen sleeve. Has a stainless barrel and is in .222.5 caliber. Stock is an early laminate made of three pieces of wood as opposed to the modern "plywood" thin layers of today. I just want the scope, what would the rifle sell for, roughly?
I bought a nearly identical rifle a little over a year ago. It was advertised for quite a while on accurate shooter.com with no takers. I paid $600 shipped to my FFl. Mine is a 722 action, Shilen sleeve and stock.

Rick

Butch,
Is this ancient history, or do you mean that you may be able to find an old, fairly accurate (0.25” in ideal conditions) .222 for that price? I’ve seen nothing like that recently. Newton

Last one I moved was about 5 years ago and it came from the estate of Red Cornelison. I was the intermediary only. As you may know, Red was in the first class of the BR Hall of Fame. The receiver was a Benchmaster and a Shilen barrel.

Butch,
Is this ancient history, or do you mean that you may be able to find an old, fairly accurate (0.25” in ideal conditions) .222 for that price? I’ve seen nothing like that recently. Newton

Greyfox bought one for that...see above. Bob White probably has a shelf full.

Pretty good rifle! I had the same in 222.5 and it shot pretty darn good....

As Wilbur said, I bought the rifle I mention above only a year or two ago for $600. In the past, going back maybe 10 years, I've bought several. The first was chambered in .222 and by the time I sold the scope, brass and extra dies, I ended up with a sleeved .222 with a Jewell trigger for $350. I shot it for several years in dog towns before competing in UBR matches and winning Modified Class SSOY the first season. After determining that the barrel most likely had in excess of 10, 000 rounds I had it rebarreled and won some more. I've picked up a few in 6PPC since and have not paid more than $700 for any of them. Folks want the newest action, pretty stock etc. These old rifles can shoot with the best if you find a good one.
My latest is currently chambered in 6 Beggs and is a consistent winner of much newer, prettier rifles.

Rick

ok guys here is the gun in question, the Price on the net is not the price I can get it for. I am only interested in the scope. If any of you are interested in the gun, let me know, we may be able to work something out.

ok guys here is the gun in question, the Price on the net is not the price I can get it for. I am only interested in the scope. If any of you are interested in the gun, let me know, we may be able to work something out.
I don't see the link. If you will try and repost the link, there might be some interest.

Rick

I'm interested in it. But dies, case-forming and reloading, may well make it not a sensible choice. Anyone have a standard Deuce of similar quality, if not vintage? Newton

If you choose other than the 222.5, I'm sure it can be rechamered in 220 Beggs, 222, 222 mag, 223, or maybe 22ppc or 22BR.

old benchrest rifle

222.5 one of Ted Boughtons or Ed shilens brain child/

It has the capacity of the 223.. It is the parent case of the 223 . the difference is the short neck on the 223.

Easy case to make too. Just push the case shoulder back on a 222mag case and trim and turn for the neck size.

It was a hot case in the 70,s and won it's share of matches

222.5 one of Ted Boughtons or Ed shilens brain child/

It has the capacity of the 223.. It is the parent case of the 223 . the difference is the short neck on the 223.

Easy case to make too. Just push the case shoulder back on a 222mag case and trim and turn for the neck size.

It was a hot case in the 70,s and won it's share of matches

Ted Broughtons? Where was Ted from?

With my eyesight degenerating I'll stick with my ancient 6mm Wasp, still keeping my eye out for a standard Deuce. Thanks for replies, suggestions. Newton

You want a straight deuce, I have a dandy for you. How about a very early Shilen DGA LV 222. Test fired only, bolt shows no wear, in one of the early walnut laminated stocks with wide, rounded forend. All, as it left Shilen, unmolested, an early Texas gun. Been in my safe many years.

Last edited:
Old benchrest rifle value

Ted Boughton was a well know gunsmith from Rochester NY.
He was well know in the area and in benchrest here the east coast. He shot with many of the greats of the day.
I Clyde Hart, Bob Hart ,MR Colins, wally Hart, Ed shilen , Warren Page, Mike walker, Jim Stekl Art Blessinger, Frank James just to name a few of his fellow competitors .

G M Brezinski,

Empty out your message box, tried to send you a PM.
Shoot me an e-mail and I'll get you a picture.

I bought this Hart sleeved 222 with 20X Lyman for 800$$ and was gonna have it rebarreled in 6PPC but traded around into a Farley 6PPC,,I put the 20X Lyman on my Brno Model 4 and swapped the rifle even for a Leupold 40x LCS scope that would bring 800$$ pretty easy,,

old rifle would still shoot in the mid-high .3s

I bought this Hart sleeved 222 with 20X Lyman for 800$$ and was gonna have it rebarreled in 6PPC but traded around into a Farley 6PPC,,I put the 20X Lyman on my Brno Model 4 and swapped the rifle even for a Leupold 40x LCS scope that would bring 800$$ pretty easy,,

old rifle would still shoot in the mid-high .3s

I didn't realize I had my Farley rest set up backwards. :confused:

my rest was left handed when I got it and switched it to right hand,,I have seen the base turned in ever way you can think of in pics on the net and at matches,,

I prefer the one screw to the rear so when I am shooting groups I let the joystick all the way down and make elevation adjustments with the screw instead of the joystick,,

I am not sure there is a wrong way,,

Back