OL length on 2 new rifles

G

geneinnc

Any suggestions for OL for a Remington XR-100 in .204 Ruger using 32 to 40 gr match ammo? Gun is factory except for trigger. Barrel break in has been done. I will be using Hornady fire formed brass.
Brand new Remington VLS in .243 Winchester using 80 to 100 gr match ammo.
Gun is factory except for trigger. No barrel break in yet, and no fire formed brass either. Federal Premium FC brass will be used.

I normally find the length of the bullet touching the lands and then back out in .005 increments with Competition seating dies.

A buddy that is a Remington only guy suggested I try a test lot touching the lands. Any thing wrong with that advice? I always start my loads on the very bottom of the chart and stay down there if I get the accuracy needed. I mostly shoot target these days, and have no desire to squeeze out the highest velocity. Accuracy and barrel life are my main concerns.

Thanks to all

Gene

If you start with the bullets at the rifling there's only one way to go with the bullet and that's seated deeper. Starting with low loads you won't have pressures that are high. When you find a load that gives good accuracy with that seating depth you can try seating the bullets deeper in 0.005" increments.

I consider the bullets "at the rifling" when the rifling leaves square marks on the seated bullet.

Don't mean to hijack your post Gene but I have a similiar question. What is a guy to do when you get a factory Remington varmint rifle that has a throat that is so long that I can't seat any 50 or 55 grain bullets out far enough to even get close to the lands? I havent tried 60's because the twist rate wont stabilize them anyways.

Sometimes a factory rifle will shoot okay with bullets well off the rifling, 0.030-0.060", but if they won't shoot like that there are two possibilities that I can see. You can write the manufacturer to see if they have a solution, or you can have the rifle rebarrelled.

Most manufacturers at least advise against the use of handloads, or will void the warranty if handloads are used and there are problems that can be or are related to ammunition. A lot of manufacturers ideas of what is suitable accuracy doesn't coincide with what a lot of shooters desire.

Start with a 224 bullet seated .200 in the case , then seat further in case in .010 increments until you get best accuracy, then go .005 on either side of this to fine tune. Then increase powder charge by .5 gr until groups open or get smaller but within safe limits. Then with same established best seating depth try a couple additional powders. My son's 220 swift shoots best at .050 off lands in Rem 700. If you have a 22-250 always try H380.

I doubt you will ever reach the lands on the .204. All factory .204's are cut with a long throat. I would just start at Sammi OAL and then seat out toward the lands and see if you can find the sweet spot. I cannot reach the lands with either 32 or 40gr. bullets in my Remington .204 Ruger. As it turned out I got pretty fair accuracy with Remington Premier ammo. I just seated my bullets the same as the factory ammo. Hope this helps. T.

Back