ok to reload 5.56 for 223?

G

gfigs911

Hey all,
I reload for my 223 and was at the range last night and picked up about 200 5.56 cases. Will these be ok to use in my savage bolt gun after they have been resized and trimmed (if needed)? I measured them with my calipers last night and cant seem to find a difference anywhere. I know the 5.56 runs at higher pressures, but i figured since im reloading all the pressures should be the same anyways....

Yes, you can use the brass as long as you can get it to size properly. A lot of 5.56mm chambers are on the large size for semi-auto function and the brass can't be sized down far enough at the base but if you can & trim to length, you'll be good to go. Also, military brass typically has less powder capacity which results in higher pressures with the same powder charge so be aware of that and work up on the load.

Hovis

Also, military brass typically has less powder capacity which results in higher pressures with the same powder charge...
While the above is true for 30-06 and 7.62 NATO brass, it is NOT true for US made 5.56 NATO casings. Brass with "LC" (Lake City Army Ammunition Plant) "WCC" (Western Cartridge Company - a subsidiary of Winchester Ammunition) headstamps, and recent production "FC" (Federal Cartridge Company - 2000 and later production lots. This can be ID'd by the lettering, which is thinner than on pre-2000 brass.) typically weigh 95 grains or less. In contrast, older runs of "FC" ("thick letter" variety) and Lapua brass (pre-2000 production in both instances) could and did weigh over 100 grains each.

There is a thread on "good" vs "bad" Federal brass one one of the boards I moderate. (This board discusses shooting centerfire rifles from position, not from benches.) Link is http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6071 . NOTE: If you are not a member of the board, you will not be able to read this thread. (Membership is free, however.)

DISCLAIMER: I am a Moderator at Nationalmatch.us, but receive no compensation (financially, or in goods or services) for this role.

but he does know what he is talking about.......................................................................................
and yes the brass will resize...may need a small base die, but i have never had 223/5.56 that would not resize....

mike in co

While the above is true for 30-06 and 7.62 NATO brass, it is NOT true for US made 5.56 NATO casings. Brass with "LC" (Lake City Army Ammunition Plant) "WCC" (Western Cartridge Company - a subsidiary of Winchester Ammunition) headstamps, and recent production "FC" (Federal Cartridge Company - 2000 and later production lots. This can be ID'd by the lettering, which is thinner than on pre-2000 brass.) typically weigh 95 grains or less. In contrast, older runs of "FC" ("thick letter" variety) and Lapua brass (pre-2000 production in both instances) could and did weigh over 100 grains each.

There is a thread on "good" vs "bad" Federal brass one one of the boards I moderate. (This board discusses shooting centerfire rifles from position, not from benches.) Link is http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6071 . NOTE: If you are not a member of the board, you will not be able to read this thread. (Membership is free, however.)

DISCLAIMER: I am a Moderator at Nationalmatch.us, but receive no compensation (financially, or in goods or services) for this role.

Asa - Didn't I say "typically". It's always better to be safe than sorry and I figure the simpilist explanation was the best answer for him.

Hovis

I've used 5.56 brass almost exclusively with my .223 rifles and have had a lot of luck.

As mentioned prior, make sure you get the full stroke down on the FL resize or you could have some tight chambering. I ran into a problem with my Lee dies with that and had to replace the collet to ensure I was getting the FL resize correct.

LC brass is probably my favorite.

Back