OK, so RCBS' customer service ISN'T perfect :)

alinwa

oft dis'd member
At least not as regards the 'RCBS Load' ware, specifically the external ballistics calculator, for 20+yrs a staple of my shooting repertoire....

I've got the old (floppy disc) version and the new DVD version. The new one has some changes that make it a waste of money IMO. It's ruined for real world use. The wind deflection graph now zero's on the sight-in distance like the gravity-drop trajectory! This is friggin' nerd info, not shooter info. I DON'T CARE where the bullet wanders off to in it's journey to the target "zero." This is interesting information like "midrange trajectory" or "max ord" but UN-USABLE for actual shooting. Completely useless for calculating hold-off for a hit at distance...

I'm righteously bent. It's been long enough......the program is useless as-is and I can't get an answer re setting it up as originally built. From anyone. Instead I get people telling me "it's the new way" and "I guess you'll just have to adjust, come into the present...." and "the designer feels this format is more useful."

BS, from people who obviously have no idea how to hit something they can't shoot endless sighters at ..... at fixed yardage....

I've emailed RCBS and left phone messages. I've emailed the designer of the "New and Improved" calculator as well as leaving him phone messages and been summarily ignored, dismissed and generally left in the proverbial dark.

I've praised this calculating utility for many years, touting it as the most printer friendly, user friendly and USEful tool I know of for mapping trajectories and getting on target in real world situations. It's been on my short list with stuff like the Kokopelli scope mounting gear, MXX-123 scales and G.H. Cretors Chicago Mix....... NO LONGER!!.........As it sits I cannot recommend the RCBS Load external ballistics calculator.

Cuz I can't find a way to make it useful, it's a hunnert dollars ill-spent. I coulda' bought a nice sweater instead.

al

Well, par for the course. I checked your recommendation of the the Maxx scales, for the hell of it.

http://www.denverinstrument.com/denverusa/balances/MAXX.php

First thing up is

PLEASE NOTE: As of 2013, MAXX Balances by Denver Instrument Brand have been transitioned to Sartorius.

then, down below, you see

MAXX Series Portable Balance Specifications (click model number for Sartorius equivalent)

And for every model number you click on, you get
Sorry, the page you are looking for could not be found.

Maybe they're in cahoots with RCBS?

Edit:

Think I'll stay with my 20-year old Denver Instruments DI series, which works just fine...

Last edited:
Charles E;
This is sort of getting to be a "Wilbur" issue. Wilbur doesn't allow trashing vendors on BR Central, even if they seem to deserve it. Usually the thread only gives one side of a story, and someone's livelihood can be involved, that sort of thing.

In any case, however you feel about it, it's Wilbur's "House Rule." ;)

Jerry

Last edited:
Back