Novice Question: Green Mtn. Aero Barrel? and new barrel break-in?

T

thenson

Greetings. I'm in the process of building my first custom Ruger 10/22 and had recently been in search of a Green Mtn. fluted bull barrel that would be their match accuracy barrel.

Cabela's and other distributors were out and on back order. To make a long story short, I found a place that had the Green Mtn. Aero barrel. From pictures I saw they looked like a bull barrel, but I called GM anyway to make sure it was a bull barrel and was just as accurate as the non-shrouded barrels.

I was told "yes" it is the 0.920" bull barrel with an aluminum shroud over the barrel so I ordered it. When I got it, it is not a bull barrel but a tapered barrel with the free floating shroud... was I being mis-lead? is this barrel going to be as accurate as an actual full-bull barrel?

And what are your thoughts and opinions of the Aero model of barrel?

Also, in regards to "break-in" of a barrel, how important is that? and when they say to clean the barrel, what specifically should I do to clean the barrel? is it just as simple as a brass brush? and what oil or solvents should I use if any... they said not to use teflon oils, so what is recommended?

thanks for helping a novice out.

Back