Not Enough Windage

Frank B

Just remove a Leupold standard base with rings. I installed new Burris two piece bases and Tactical Rings. I had to shim the rear base to get enough elevation for 600. The problem is I only have 1 inch of right windage left. What can I do now? Later! Frank

not so tactical are they ???

so your scope is currently going thru the rings at an angle ??

get a tapered base or rings, and
consider going to thier signature rings with inserts.......

mike in co

Just remove a Leupold standard base with rings. I installed new Burris two piece bases and Tactical Rings. I had to shim the rear base to get enough elevation for 600. The problem is I only have 1 inch of right windage left. What can I do now? Later! Frank

Well, you could decide to shoot only in extremely calm conditions or when the wind is blowing from the left, or you could use a scope with more windage adjustment (and elevation!), or you could decide to correct what sounds like a base vs. bore centerline alignment problem.

You move one base one way and the other base the other way... tap the bases lightly with the screws just snug and then tighten the screws. There is some clearance in the holes that will give a surprising amount of adjustment.

What worked

Seems I had a similar problem one time. I either turned the rings 180 degrees or switched the rings from front to back or both and it fixed the problem

Thing of it is, even prefectly alinged rings can be at an angle to the bore/action.

I think the root problem is the the holes in the action are off center a little. I bought the Burris Tactical to get an extra .5" height. Looks like something less than .125" would cause this problem. I tried Dennis's solution and looks like I picked up several inches. Won't know for sure until I get out to my range tomorrow. Thanks to all for the suggestions. Later! Frank

Thank you Dennis! I followed your directions and gained four more inches @100 yards. I am waiting on a new barrel and reamer right now. I will have my gunsmith check out the barrel/action alignment. It was supposed to have been done when we built it. Later! Frank

Back