not enough adjustemnt with NF 12x42 ? something isnt right!

R

redmenter

Hello,
New to board.. i tried searching out the answer, but maybe its too specific for me to find the answer that way? So i am new to the world of long range shooting. Recently bought the savage model 12 F, 6mm BR, 30" barrel, egw .850" rings, and egw 20 moa mount. All went on great, was able to easily get on paper at 100yds. Zeroed it at 200 yds. this 12x42 benchrest scope doesn't have zerostop. finally got to range with 1000 yards targets this weekend, and low and behold i run out of adjustment at 900 yards. 4 rotations of the dial (190 clicks). i read a ton before i bought this set up, and never read anyone running out of adjustment at 1000yds?? so i have to figure im doing something wrong? i mounted base with higher end in back, lower end towards front (barrel). was really really hoping someone with a similar set up could steer me in the right direction.
A couple things to note if it helps, when i am zero'd at 200yds. the dial is showing "3" on the lines on bottom of dial, so i have 4 turns total up, or i can screw it down 3 full rotations before it bottoms out. and at 200 i can put 3 shots inside an inch. also was hitting 400, 600, 700 yard steel without much problem,, so i know its zero'd correctly?
thanks a ton!
please help!

In my experience, it's not unusual to find that there can be a certain amount of misalignment between an untrued action an a barrel, some unexpected barrel sag or barrel harmonics that will confuse the pure mathematics of selecting a scope rail. For example, I use millennium actions bedded with their proprietary Flexibed system & all three need a full 10 MOA more slope on their scope rails to achieve appropriate adjustments, so it seems like the float is in the bedding. On the other hand, over the last 15 years or so, every barrel of the same calibre that my gunsmith has fitted shoots within a MOA or thereabouts of the zero of the previous one.

Now that you are committed to a sloped rail, you might consider pairing it with Burris Signature Zee rings to gain extra elevation compliance.

John

Yep you can get 5 or 10 moa with the burris rings,
but i think you are stretching past the practical limits of straight 6br.

There is a reason why people shoot 6mm dasher for 1000 yds.

Adjustments

Shoot 100 gr.+ bullets....... stout load of varget......many loads will get you near 3000 ft/sec.....Go to Burris Signature Rings.... with +020 and -020 inserts........ OR..... take gun apart...true action..... and clock barrel ( rotate ) to point upwards.....
bill larson

Last edited:
With a sierra 107 mk and a case full of varget,
he might get to 2800 fps.
His mid point trajectory is 114" above line of sight.
That is over 24" above a dasher.
There is a reason for his issue.

Hello,
New to board.. i tried searching out the answer, but maybe its too specific for me to find the answer that way? So i am new to the world of long range shooting. Recently bought the savage model 12 F, 6mm BR, 30" barrel, egw .850" rings, and egw 20 moa mount. All went on great, was able to easily get on paper at 100yds. Zeroed it at 200 yds. this 12x42 benchrest scope doesn't have zerostop. finally got to range with 1000 yards targets this weekend, and low and behold i run out of adjustment at 900 yards. 4 rotations of the dial (190 clicks). i read a ton before i bought this set up, and never read anyone running out of adjustment at 1000yds?? so i have to figure im doing something wrong? i mounted base with higher end in back, lower end towards front (barrel). was really really hoping someone with a similar set up could steer me in the right direction.
A couple things to note if it helps, when i am zero'd at 200yds. the dial is showing "3" on the lines on bottom of dial, so i have 4 turns total up, or i can screw it down 3 full rotations before it bottoms out. and at 200 i can put 3 shots inside an inch. also was hitting 400, 600, 700 yard steel without much problem,, so i know its zero'd correctly?
thanks a ton!
please help!
Your rail is not steep enough.On 200 yrds,you have started already too high.You might need a rail with 25 moa or you can insert a 0.010" brass foil under the rail(your end).

three shots in 1" at 200 is not a good start for 1000 yd shooting.
5 shots inside /1/2" at 200 is a good starting point,if bench rest shooting is the goal.

(corrected 2" TO 1/2" AT 200)

Last edited by a moderator:
1000 yd "F" Class Shooting

5 shots inside /2" at 200 is a good starting point,if bench rest shooting is the goal.

The 10 ring on a NRA 1000 yd. "F" class target is 10"....... the "X" ring is 5" diam........ 1" groups at 200 yds equates to .5 MOA..... which is 5" at 1000 yds....... perfectly adequate to shoot perfect scores at 1000 yds.
get out there and get started.........
good shooting......
bill larson

Redmenter, your loads may be too mild. If you are down in the 2650-2750 fps range you may have to go hotter. B careful though with factory actions shooting some of the hotter loads some use.

OP,,,culd it be that the base is on backwards ???,,,,I have never had a savage action and am wondering if it is possible ,,,check screw holes,,,just trying to help...Roger

Roger is correct, the front of the scope should point down at the front.

AND the scope only has 40 moa total elevation. Being on paper at 100
yards is not a good thing. you want to be 15-20 inches high at 100, maybe more
with the 6 br..like 30 .

Last edited by a moderator:
You should have enough elevation with a 20 moa base for 1000 yds. My buddy has the same gun and caliber with a 20 moa base and he is on the target at 1000 yds with 28 moa up from the 100 yd zero. He does run hot loads. You can use one of the online ballistic calculators to estimate your drop.

Something is not right in your set up. You should be closer to the lower end of your scope elevation adjustment when you are sighted in at 100 yds. You need to be able to have the gun shoot at least 28 inches high at 100 yds for a 1000 yd zero. Check to make sure that you did put the low end of the base forward. If that's OK you can try switching the rings front to back or another set of rings if you have them. If it's the same issue after doing that just get a base with more moa built in or use the Burris rings with inserts to get the extra elevation.

5 shots inside /2" at 200 is a good starting point,if bench rest shooting is the goal.

5 shots well under a inch at 300 yards is a good place to be if you plan to shoot 600 or 1000 yards.

In 2014 I shot the 1000 yard nationals with a 6BR with a 24" barrel. I shot the old 108 BIB's with the loooong bearing surface. I can't remember if my muzzle velocity was over 2700 fps but I was on target with a 20 moa picitinni mount and Nightforce ultralite rings.
There's something wrong somewhere if you cannot get zeroed.

When you installed the scope mount did you check to see if it mated up with the receiver on both ends? You can loose a lot of your moa over that issue if you didn't bed the mount properly.
Take all the screws out of the scope mount, hold figure pressure down on the mount right over the screw holes on the front bridge of the receiver then tap the mount with your fingers at the rear bridge and see if it moves up and down. If it's tight then hold it down in the rear and tap the front-end and see if it moves up and down when you tap on it. If it moves, you need to bed the mount.

Back