Noob with bag questions

MightyMouse

I'm new to benchrest shooting, I'm going to shoot my first match in a few weeks, I went to the range and practiced for the first time the other day, shooting like this is new to me and all the equipment is new as well.

I'm using a Bald Eagle BE1004 and a Protektor #13 rear bag.

I noticed after reloading the rifle the cross hairs were no where near where they were after the shot was fired, I expect some movement from working the bolt but this is requiring alot of rest adjustment to get to the next target on the paper, I'm holding the buttstock down while working the bolt. I don't think the front rest is moving much, I suspect the rear bag is the issue, the bag came pre-filled, I think it may be overfilled? The rifle seems like it is not settling into the rear bag, do leather bags require break in, how much sand should the bag have?

Also I think it may be more comfortable if the rifle was positioned higher, I'm thinking about attaching a spacer of some kind to the bottom of the rear bag, is this a bad idea, what material and how would you attach it to the leather bag bottom?

1 - The rear bag came filled, how much sand should it have in it, is it overfilled from the factory?

2 - How can I attach a spacer to the leather rear bag to raise it up, and what material should I use, metal, wood, composite?

Thanks,
Tony

Some things.....

Yes, bags get better over time but, as Tim wrote, you may have too much sand in the bag. Can't tell from your post how much your rifle is "off" after shooting and loading but bag alignment has a bit to do with that. Pound your rifle into the rear bag with your hand...you can tell by the feel when you get it "pounded". If you can't do that, there's too much sand in the bag. Tighten the front bag to the stock...not too tight but rather just enough that the rifle won't move to the side when lightly pushed. Use the scope to check that it doesn't move on the target.

You can buy spacer that raises the rear bag but read the rules to make sure your getting the right spacer. Some folks just use a wooden block.

Tony I don't think anyone can answer your question. From what I have observed everyone has
their own preference. Using say a hard bag. Just how hard is that.

You may not have the gun set to begin with. First you need to align the bag.
Then set the stock in the bag. I do this with a little down force with my hand.
Get behind the gun and look through scope. Pull the gun back and forward, watch the
return to battery. It may keep rising with your Point Of Aim. Keep pulling it back and forth
until it stops climbing. Do this until your POA returns. If the POA goes down you pushed
it to deep in the bag, the stock is climbing up. Once your return to battery is good UP, DOWN, SIDE to SIDE
You are ready.

The best way is to get help from a shooter at your match. I am sure, they will gladly help you out.
There is an awful lot of this game that is by feel. I call this kind of stuff "Table Manners".
If you want to shoot well you need very good table manners.

Good luck at your first match
Dean

Back