Newbie with questions

D

Doc_K

I am a long time lurker first time poster. I am a recently separated Navy veteran that has taken up an interest in bench rest shooting. My background is mostly in military matches and vintage sniper matches. My local club has frequent 200 yard matches and that's what I am after. Maybe in the future and if I retain an interest i will look to compete other places at longer distances. I do have a couple of questions for you shooter veterans:

1. Caliber - What is considered to be a good caliber for this distance? I have been looking at 22ppc more so because a local shooter here has one for sale at a good price. I have seen a wide range including the br calibers and even some common calibers used. I will be reloading so no problem there.

2. Should I buy a used rifle for my first? I am not opposed to buying a used rifle and replacing parts as needed such as barrels etc. Is this suggested or should I go full custom for the whole build? Also, where is a good place for a used rifle, I am on a budget so the less expensive the better. Around $1-1500 for rifle.

3. Glass - Also an area with a wide array. I have been trained on 10x for just about everything but know this will not cut it in these disciplines. Keeping in mind budget and I know that I wont be a marksmen right at the start, i just need something to get me in the game.

Well, there it is. I would appreciate any and all advice. I have spoken to many members of different clubs and just wanted to get an outsiders opinion. I appreciate any and all help that you guys can offer. Thanks. - Doc_K

theres different guns for 100/200yd and then longer ranges. this site primarily deals with 100/200yd benchrest but there are a few that shoot the longer ranges. whatever you buy budget a new barrel. every used gun has like 400rds on it for some reason and most guns that shoot are not for sale. 1500 is a stretch for a decent one and it aint hapnin with glass. start lookin for a 36 weaver used and a 40x remington br rifle. it should be well under $2k and maybe 1750 if you look. most times you can get some dies and stuff throwed in I always throw stuff in myself. if you decide to go with a 100/200yd gun I know a guy that has a bunch of equipment just let me know

Just be aware that no one rifle/cartridge is going to be ideal at all ranges. Something that is ideal at 100-200 won't be so great at 600.

I understand that there is no do all gun. I am mainly focused on 1-200 yard range as it is what is available to me. I have looked at a few options and am thinking of going with the ruger in 22 ppc with weaver t scope. The gun has been bedded and shows a lot of promise. As mentioned before this is a starter gun so not looking to win good out of the gate. Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming.

I understand that there is no do all gun. I am mainly focused on 1-200 yard range as it is what is available to me. I have looked at a few options and am thinking of going with the ruger in 22 ppc with weaver t scope. The gun has been bedded and shows a lot of promise. As mentioned before this is a starter gun so not looking to win good out of the gate. Thanks for all the replies and keep them coming.

Unless you're sure that Ruger will "shoot," my suggestion is that you buy a used custom in the price range you mentioned in post 1 above -- and you should be able to find such in the classifieds here, or check with Dusty (as suggested above)

If you are going to shoot competitive 100 - 200 yard Group BR then you need to stick with the known calibres. 6PPC, 22PPC, or 30BR. 6PPC being the most popular of those lots. There are a lot of good components available and a wealth of knowledge on how to load for 6PPC as well. Next is 22PPC followed by 30BR. Any of those calibres can win matches at just about any level as long as you load with good components and have decent gear. Just look at the equipment list for the big matches and you can see what powders to use and who is making good bullets. There are a few other good calibres but I would stay away from those until you get more experience.

Consider the Barrel on any BR gun as a class 9 item. Totally expendable.

Remember that a 6PPC can easily be converted to a 22PPC or vice a versa with a new barrel. But you would need to get new dies and components to go with the barrel change.

Get a good 36 or higher power scope. For competitive group shooting you will need to be able to resolve the target down to about 1/4 bullet hole.

Having a person who has experience with your calibre to give you some advice on loading is always a good deal. Don't forget you will need a good rest and bag to go with your gun. And don't think about just 200 yard because once you shoot a few matches at your local club you will want to shoot a full match.

My advice would be to go ahead and get a good used BR gun and shoot the heck out of it.

Save your money on the Ruger and get a used BR rig. They are out there and can be very competitive, they just aren't the in thing. Also a good used Weaver 36 scope is fine, they still are on the line today.

Find a mentor that is willing to help. This will save you a lot of time and money.

Hope this helps

Joe Hynes

theres guys around armadillo that will help you. go over to denton on aug 17th and check out the VFS match. guys there are very helpful. or creep over to midland on aug 30&31 for the buffalo shoot.

From one Navy Vet to another. I started in factory class years ago with a factory Savage 223 then tricked it up. Eventually shot a Zero and some Teen 5-shot groups with it. I had a 6PPC built to compete in short-range [100-200 yards] group and score matches. Then had a 30BR built for score since I shoot that the most.

The 30BR has a distinct edge over the 6PPC in score competition most of the time, however my best score 250 20X was shot with the 6PPC and my best finish in a group match with some very fine shooters in New Braunfels TX, a 2nd at 100, was with the 30BR. Go figure. Knowing what I know now I recommend a 30BR. It's competitive in either group or score matches.

Jackie Schmidt [http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...ckie-schmidts-1118-100-yard-agg-for-the-ages/ ] and Mike Stinnett [ http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...reaks-the-unbreakable-record-with-0077-group/ ] can attest to the 30s prowess at short range.

Although Jackie's world record agg attempt did not become official, it certainly proved that the 30 possess tremendous accuracy in the right hands, and can compete at the highest level in both Score and Group competitions. :)

Doc, I agree with Dusty stay away from the Ruger. I'd go with a used benchrest rifle in 6 PPC. For 100 and 200 yard shooting it's the king and its yet to be proven there is anything better. Put a Sightron or Weaver 36X scope or a used Leupold 36X and you'll be good to go. If you are going to shoot NBRSA competition benchrest Raton and Midland are your closest ranges. There's a large benchrest match next weekend at the Whittington Center Coors range at Raton. There will probably be used benchrest rifles for sale at the match. I haven't seen anything for sale at a benchrest match that isn't built on a custom single shot action in years. Prices usually run from $1400 to $2500 depending upon action and stock configuration. You'll pay more for what is currently popular such as Bat actions on Scoville or Scarborough stocks. The same action in a fiberglass or graphite stock will sell for less. Most times used benchrest rifles sell for component cost not including any cost for the labor to put them together. Unfortunately, I have a conflict that weekend and will be attending my nephews wedding. I don't know why they don't consult match schedules before scheduling weddings. I'm about 100 miles East of Amarillo.

Back