Newbie to BR needs gun/caliber advice

T

TedTF

I have a few hutning rifles but would like to get a long range target/benchrest rifle. I am looking at Savage model 12, Rem 700 VLS, and Ruger M77 Target. I am also thinking about a 243 win caliber as it gives great flexibility of bullet weights. Other calibers I have considered are 220 swift, 22-250, and 25-06. I would like to start "working" on this gun once purchased and get a taste of BR shooting. Any advice is appreciated.

None of the cartridges that you mention are BR cartridges.
A varmint gun is a different bird to a BR gun.
If you really want to try BR shooting then you need a 6mm PPC or 6mm BR.
You will not be popular on the Br shooting line blasting away with a 25-06 .
I would have a gun built for 6mm BR as it has a bit more power for hunting than a PPC.
That way you can take advantage of all the custom 6mm Br quality bullets available when shooting targets.

If you want a competition rifle you're going to have to decide which discipline you want to compete in. A long range target rifle could be designed for prone or F Class shooting OR long range benchrest. The rules for these disciplines are not the same, so a rifle for either would have to be custom made or bought used.

Flexibility is not one of the things that is looked for in a competition rifle. Usually the bullet weights used in any competitive discipline is fairly well settled because those used work best. Cartridges range from various 6 mm wildcats to various .30 cal magnums depending on the discipline and class being shot.

The only mass produced rifles I know of that are suitable for long range prone or F Class shooting are the new Savage target rifles.

For short range BR there are no factory made rifles that will compete without more work and expense than a custom made rifle would take or cost to achieve similar results. The most popular and successful short range, 100 to 300 yard, BR is the 6 mm PPC for group shooting. Hunter (score) BR is mostly shot with .30 cal wildcats that have case capacity close to the minimum which is the same as the .30-30.

If there is a club near you that holds "factory class" BR matches go to a match to see what is being shot there. The club I was a member of in Seattle shot a factory class at 200 and 300 yards. Most people used .223's, with larger cases or larger calibers, when they showed up, generally didn't win except for the guys who could handle the recoil of a .308 Win for 40 rounds plus sighters from the bench. Not as easy as it sounds.

Buy the Savage 12.
If you want to "work" on the rifle Savage is the best way to go. You can buy custom/factory barrels and replace them yourself in a few minutes.
The bolt heads are also replaceable which allows you to switch case head diameters at will.

Benchrest is usually shot at 100/200, 600 and 1000yds from my understanding.
Which yardage you choose to shoot will determine the most suitable cartridge.
A 6mmBR Norma is probably as close as you can get to a "do-all" chambering.

A Sav 12 with a 6 BR tube on it will give you a taste of BR shooting and be competitive at club matches. If you want to win titles you'll eventually need to upgrade.

Taste of competition low on $$$

Buy the Savage 12.
If you want to "work" on the rifle Savage is the best way to go. You can buy custom/factory barrels and replace them yourself in a few minutes.
The bolt heads are also replaceable which allows you to switch case head diameters at will.

Benchrest is usually shot at 100/200, 600 and 1000yds from my understanding.
Which yardage you choose to shoot will determine the most suitable cartridge.
A 6mmBR Norma is probably as close as you can get to a "do-all" chambering.

A Sav 12 with a 6 BR tube on it will give you a taste of BR shooting and be competitive at club matches. If you want to win titles you'll eventually need to upgrade.

I agree with JO.... For the money, this is the closest thing flexability wise for multi BR shooting sports... At least a taste of the sports.

The stock on the Target F T/R is not ideal BUT will be legal in F - Class/Short and long range Benchrest.
Then order a Highend Prefit barrel (Large Shank "1.120") in a 1-12 twist 6BR no turn neck for 68gr in short range game and 85 - 90gr 6mm bullets for the long game.
The Savage F T/R..... The F Class offering stock would not be legal in the short range game.
http://www.savagearms.com/12FTR.htm
Just the action if you wanted to bed in a stock of your chooseing...
http://www.savagearms.com/TA_223_Bolt.htm

Pure Long range... Long range Benchrest or F-Class...
http://www.savagearms.com/12f_class.htm

Honestly, the best advice is to find the type of shooting style that is frequent and "close by" get to know the shooters and buy the rifle for the exact sport. Otherwise wasted money/time/frustration is the typical outcome.

All the best,
cale

Last edited by a moderator:
I too think the Savage in a 6BR would be a great choice. I'm currently having a custom 6BR built but have no desire to have a 12 twist barrel. If you plan any longer range shooting you can order the Savage with a 8 twist barrel. This will allow you use the heavier bullets needed for accuarcy at longer distance. The 12 twist will not stabalize a Berger 95 grain Match bullet or a Sierra 107 grain SMK. I have my doubts you can be competitive at a distance over 500 yards without using one of the heavier bullets. A friend of mine dominates bench rest from 100 yards to 500 yards using a 6BR with a 9 twist and a 95 grain Berger. You cannot order the Savage with a 9 twist but a 8 will serve you well with the 107SMK out to 1K and still do a Great job at the closer distances. You can also get the Savage in a single shot with a right bolt and Left port configuration, thats got to be sweet!

Back