New York State/North East Reg. Sporter Championship results

Renegade

We had a good weekend at Salem for our NY State/NE Reg. IR50/50 Sporter Championships despite a poor turnout. We had 6 shooters on Sat. for the Yards matches and 5 on Sunday for the Meters matches. Tony Harper and his wife made the 8 hr trip from PA, Klayton Hayes traveled from Augusta, ME and George Boyle and Todd Cipolla came in from CT. We missed some of our regulars like Ed Hosier and Ray and Bob Hill and hope to see them in August for our 3-Gun Championships!

The weather was nice, sunny with highs in the mid 70's both days, but the very switchy wind increased as each day progressed. It was particularly tough on Sunday afternoon, getting to the point by the last target of the day that a 244-10X was good enough to win, and the winning agg dropped from the low 740's that won the first three matches to a 733-26 placing Tony Harper in 1st in the Regional Meters match. In the State Yards and Regional Yards and Meters matches the top three shooters were separated by just 1 or 2 points. Tony showed us how to do in the States Meters match on Sunday morning though, beating the second place finisher by 14 points and 20X's! His first two targets were 7 and 5 points better than 2nd place and left the rest of us just shaking our heads.

A big THANKS! to Pete Roberson who scored for us and cooked lunch on Sat.

Below are the score sheets for all 4 matchs. Hope we have a better turnout in August!
Todd Banks

IMG_3747.jpg
IMG_3746.JPG

We had a good weekend at Salem for our NY State/NE Reg. IR50/50 Sporter Championships despite a poor turnout. We had 6 shooters on Sat. for the Yards matches and 5 on Sunday for the Meters matches. Tony Harper and his wife made the 8 hr trip from PA, Klayton Hayes traveled from Augusta, ME and George Boyle and Todd Cipolla came in from CT. We missed some of our regulars like Ed Hosier and Ray and Bob Hill and hope to see them in August for our 3-Gun Championships!

The weather was nice, sunny with highs in the mid 70's both days, but the very switchy wind increased as each day progressed. It was particularly tough on Sunday afternoon, getting to the point by the last target of the day that a 244-10X was good enough to win, and the winning agg dropped from the low 740's that won the first three matches to a 733-26 placing Tony Harper in 1st in the Regional Meters match. In the State Yards and Regional Yards and Meters matches the top three shooters were separated by just 1 or 2 points. Tony showed us how to do in the States Meters match on Sunday morning though, beating the second place finisher by 14 points and 20X's! His first two targets were 7 and 5 points better than 2nd place and left the rest of us just shaking our heads.

A big THANKS! to Pete Roberson who scored for us and cooked lunch on Sat.

Below are the score sheets for all 4 matchs. Hope we have a better turnout in August!
Todd Banks

View attachment 21107
View attachment 21108

This was my first trip this far "upstate " New York. All I can say is upstate New York is beautiful, very much like Pa.

But my biggest surprise of all, "Southern hospitality" extends all the way to "upstate" New York.

Everyone we met made us feel welcome.

We stayed in the nice little town of Cambridge. Found three great places to eat. Breakfast at the "Country Gals " diner, downtown Cambridge, hot food prepared just for you, much better than any fast food places.

Dinner, was at the Burger Den", the Burger Den is much more than just a burger place, seafood, Italian, etc. The prime rib at "Benson's" was something special.

We stayed at The Cambridge Motor Inn. It was well priced, and clean.

Todd ran the match like clock work. He allowed enough time to get everything done, but kept everything moving.

Pete Roberson scored all the cards and he was spot on. I think there was only one protest all weekend, and Pete was right on that one too.

The range at Salem is a sleeper. When you first see it you think this will be a piece of cake. It sits down low and looks to be pretty much protected.

But you learn pretty quick the air is not as still as you thought. I usually like to shoot the push if the conditions are variable and constantly changing.

Well there was plenty of push, but it came from every direction at once. If you tried to shoot the let ups, the bullet just fell out of the sky.

Shooting sporter matches, two yards, and two meters, 12 cards, over two days with a 7.5 lb. sporter, and 6.5 power scope, isn't for everyone. Especially in trying conditions.

But if you enjoy a true challenge there isn't anything like it. Yes, we were all humbled, but enjoyed the whole experience.

I would like to thank Todd, Pete, and all the shooter for allowing me to shoot with you. I'm a better shooter for it.

Hope to see you guys again sometime. Thanks!

TKH

PS: Carole says "thanks" too!

Last edited:
Nice shooting boys

Congrats to George and Tony on their winning aggs.
And congrats to all the guys who made the trip to Salem.

Couldn't make it this time but Bob and I will see ya'll for the fall shoots

Thanks Todd and Pete for ya interest
Ray

Tony, it's always a treat for us at Salem when we have visitors like you that travel so far to shoot with us! I'm glad you and Carole had a positive experience here in Washington County and hope you'll come shoot with us again sometime!
Todd

Back