NEW Weatherby SA-08 is just rebranded!

G

Ginner

I was checking out Weatherby's new mid-priced ($700) SA-08 shotgun and I thought it looked familiar. Turns out that except for different knurling on the magazine cap and a decorative relief cut on the reciever it is identical to the ALS 2100 from Traditions:rolleyes:. We're talkin' about a shotgun that used to sell at Wal-Mart for about $280:eek:. A cheap Turkish made(if I remember right) shotgun that I bought used(10 shots) in the box for $220 because it would not cycle with low pressure target loads. Just needed about 100 rounds to loosen it up; works OK now though;).
This is a new trend with corporate America I know Maytag, Whirlpool and others just sell the rights to use the brand name so you think you,re getting a quality product when that may or may not be the case. FYI

Give Me a Used Remmy 1100 Anyday

I'll take a pawn shop 1100 and clean it up before I would have a new "anything" made in Turkey. ;)

Auto shotguns are ridiculously priced nowadays. Beretta get $1000-1400 for a Urika and now 1100's are $800+. The sleeper out there is the Mossberg 930 auto. I paid $400 for it and cannot get it to FTE. For two years it's has been in the salt marshes of S. Texas and is working great. The 930 handles like an 1100 and that's what I like about it. I have a safe full of 1100's from new sporting models to older Skeet B grades. I used to have an 1187 for a marsh gun but my son borrowed it and he won't give it back! :cool:

HUGE Rem fan myself!

I love those 1100'S & 11-87's but at the time was barely able to pay the bills. I picked up that ALS 2100 and loved the ultra light weight(20ga). I never heard of the model and the guy at the local army/navy store gun desk, where I bought it, told me it was by Traditions, Old Saybrook,CT. which it says on the right side of the barrel right in front of the 2 3/4 & 3" markings. Okay, I found an American made semi in perfect shape for $220:cool:, good for me. Got it home and found it would not cycle target loads so I researched it on the net and found out it was a cheap Turkish made piece of crap (MADE IN TURKEY stamped on the LEFT side of the barrel) from WAL-MART:(! I also found out that it just needed broken in:eek:. I have to say it has been a great little gun since but I felt it necessary to post because if you think your getting a good ol' American piece from Roy Weatherby you are just another sucker like myself. I think rebranding is BS and dishonest:mad:! $700 for a $300 shotgun is just another example of the rampant corporate greed that is sinking this great nation. Sorry for the rant but I really hate what's happened to us since NAFTA. My next gun will be a Savage.

1100's

I have a couple of 1100 20 gauges that were built on the 12 gauge frame. These are about the best 20 gauge autos ever built. One caveat though. The bolt and slide rails are specific to that gun and are hard to find. Before E-bay went to E-Gay I was able to locate spare bolts, slides and other specific parts for that gun.

I have come across several 1100's in pawn shops in the $250 range that were just dirty. I used a couple of them for parts and sold off the barrel and stocks.

A new 1100 G-3 at Gander Mtn (I know) lists for $1000 plus 8.25% tax. :eek:

I have a couple of 1100 20 gauges that were built on the 12 gauge frame. These are about the best 20 gauge autos ever built. One caveat though. The bolt and slide rails are specific to that gun and are hard to find. Before E-bay went to E-Gay I was able to locate spare bolts, slides and other specific parts for that gun.

I . :eek:

Had the same trouble finding parts for mine. I modified a 12 gauge slide rail (milled off about .100" off of the lug) and so far it works perfectly. Also it looks like the new 16 gauge bolt will work.

You Are Correct Sir

The 16 ga bolt will work in the old standard 20 ga 1100s.

Back