New W-W brass

Worker

Don't they aneal new brass at the factory? I need to fire form this brass from 22-250 to Ackley Improved ? I want to do the corn meal method to save BBL life. Do I have to aneal this brass first? Life is already hard enough,its just not fair.

worker-the corn meal method is hard on barrels too!!! If you fire them too fast the barrel will get super hot. The corn meal method usually works best if you have a fire forming barrel to sacrifice.

Oh Know

Ok so its the primer and powder that burn up BBLs right? My bbl is a 5R cut rifled 8" twist BBL is my BBL more susceptible to BBL burning then a slower twist BBL.

.....!

worker-the corn meal method is hard on barrels too!!! If you fire them too fast the barrel will get super hot. The corn meal method usually works best if you have a fire forming barrel to sacrifice.

YES..!!!

Good lord do not do the corn cob media thing down your new good barrel!

Just for old worn barrels and keeping the noise level down fire forming brass in garage at home.....

cale

What am I ?

But I bought a 1LB box of corn meal ? What am I supposed to do with that,make Corn muffins ? When I fire form with bullet I get terrible accuracy. I was using some W-W 64gr SP 3"4" groups at 100yards. My BBL has a 8"twist.

Ymmv

I have fireformed using cream of wheat and cornmeal over the last 10yrs with no ill effects on my match barrels. Make sure it is not the instand kind and keep it dry. I like to use a piece of paper towel jammed into the neck to make sure everything stays in place.

I have formed over 2000 cases with very few splits. I find it way better then other methods.

Jerry

Dang no shortage of opinions

Well its too late I'm in the process of loading up my fire forming rounds. I've got some useless IMR 4320 laying around and some 64gr W-W SP so I'm loading 35.5 grs behind that bullet. I expect crummy accuracy.

worker- When you make those corn muffins send some my way. Extra butter please!!!!!! I have done the corn meal method and it heats the barrel real good. Heat is the main enemy of a barrel!! Add burned corn meal /carbon going down the barrel well you can guess what the carbon will do to a barrel!!! How many corn muffins will that box of corn meal make?

No way !

To heck with it. No corn meal BBL arm. I just fired 45 rounds of the load I listed It produced ok accuracy at 50 yards. I fired these 45 rounds in about an hour and a half. When BBL felt warm I put in the vertical rack and shot my hand gun.

Back