New to this forum and F class style shooting

Downeast

Hi everyone,

I've been shooting "F-Class style" now for about a year with a 6.5 Creedmoor out to 600 yards. I'm located in southeastern NC and as far as I know there is no one in the immediate vicinity that shoots F-Class. So, I shoot by myself and do the best I can. I have a "range" behind my house out to 900 yards (1,000 if it ever stops raining!). I have F-class targets and I use shoot-n-z targets over them so that I can see impacts. I'm a total newbie at this but having a lot of fun and learning something new every time I shoot. I'm shooting groups (5-7 rounds) at 200 yards (my sight-in distance) that are grouping right at an inch. I'm using 140 Berger's and H4350, which seems to be the most popular load for this caliber. I was going to post a pic for everyone to criticize but the system seems to ignore my clicking on the "Manage Attachments" button.

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. I'm pondering the idea of having a rifle built in the next year or two (depending on budget, I may have to buy everything separate over time and have a smith put it together for me). For some strange reason I seem to be intrigued with the 284 Win. Don't ask me why? If there is anyone out there living in se NC come on by and we'll burn some powder. Just remember to bring some boots and bug spray!

... I'm shooting groups (5-7 rounds) at 200 yards (my sight-in distance) that are grouping right at an inch...
Hi there!

As an FYI, typical strings of fire for F-Class are usually 20 shots for score, plus at least two sighters. It may help to obtain a copy of the NRA rulebook for Highpower rifle, which contains F-Class rules, link to the rules for 2020 may be obtained at http://rulebooks.nra.org/documents/pdf/compete/RuleBooks/HPR/hpr-book.pdf. NOTE: There are F-Class specific rules, but other parts of Highpower rules still apply.

Not sure where in NC you live, but the North State Shooting Club hosts NRA and CMP matches at Camp Butner (North of Durham, see webpage at http://www.northstateshootingclub.com/newindex.htm). North Carolina Rifle and Pistol Association has two match programs for ranges near Charlotte (Polk County Gun Club to the Southwest of the city, Piedmont Handgunner Association to the Northeast, links to these programs are at NCPRA's page at https://www.ncrpa.org/shooting-matches/). Contacting NCPRA or NSSC may yield additional info on matches or points of contact. As an FYI, there are a LOT of great rifle shooters in and near North Carolina.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Asa Yam

Thank you both for the info. I checked with Coastal Carolina Rifle Club and their matches have been cancelled due to the virus. My good friend and shooting buddy is a retired marine and we went to Lejuene and checked out the range at Stone Bay. It's a bit of a paperwork challenge to get on base (unless you have someone vouching for you) but when they start shooting again we may try our hand at it. It's about a 2 hour drive so that is workable.

I'm still working up a load and basically just having fun.

Since you have the ability to shoot out to 900yds conveniently I suggest either buying a Shotmarker target or a Longshot target camera and practice on the appropriate F-class center at 600 or 900/1000. Do it when the wind is ripping and you will be miles ahead by the time you enter a formal competition.

My shooting buddy picked up one of the long range wi-fi cameras so we'll see how it goes.

It will serve you well. One caveat with cameras....use a lighter background target such as orange/white/light blue unless you are using it for F-class practice and need a regulation center. Using black can make it hard to see the holes in certain glare conditions. My TargetVision (now a different name for the company) worked very well out to 600yds but was capable of well beyond 1000yds.

It will serve you well. One caveat with cameras....use a lighter background target such as orange/white/light blue unless you are using it for F-class practice and need a regulation center. Using black can make it hard to see the holes in certain glare conditions. My TargetVision (now a different name for the company) worked very well out to 600yds but was capable of well beyond 1000yds.

Thanks for the tip. We tried it out and it seems to work well with a tablet at 200 yards. It's far more intelligent than we are. It calculates group size, can do multiple targets at the same time and it may even bake cookies and make coffee. ;) I believe it was a "Bullseye" brand. The hurricane took out some of our target stands so we were limited on how far we could set up and shoot.

Back