new to F class

K

koivu

I have just ordered a Savage model 12 6br. I was thinking of putting an older B&L 36X scope on it since that's what I have on hand and I'm tapped out after buying the rifle. Any advice on rings? My club has a 300 yard range and there are matches nearby at 600 yds and possibly a 1000 yd match if I want to drive for 14 hours to get there. Would there be any advantage to putting a pickaninny rail on the gun? (excuse my spelling) I usually shoot 22 ARA so this is all new to me. Thanks.

Base source

Go here and select scope mounts on the left. While there look around and all the other Savage stuff. http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

Get a 20 MOA base if you have any thought to ever shoot 1000 yards.

Also, most 6mmBR's just love 30 grains of VARGET with a Sierra MatchKing 107 loaded .020" off the rifling.
Savages RULE!

George

Can't see any reason not to go with Burris Signature Zee rings. The inserts hold the scope well, w/o marking the tube, and the offset inserts allow you to get the most out of your scope's availible elevation.

The 6mm BR doesn't have a lot of recoil to the Burris Signature Z rings should work just fine, and with the extra inserts you have a choice of slope. 20 minutes should work for 1,000, 10 minutes would work better for 300-600 yards. You'll need to figure the amount of travel your scope has, generally not more than 40 minutes.

When it's time to go shopping for a new scope, you might want to look at the Sightrons which are about the most bang for the buck for a decent quality scope. Figure on looking for a new scope after about a year or so and you've had a chance to work out what you want/need in a scope.

Some folks like a fixed power, I prefer a variable simply because I can dial back if the mirage is especially bad.

One suggestion is that you check out other scopes, recticules and mounts at a couple of matches before you go spending hard earned cash, things are always more expensive if you buy them twice.

Can't see any reason not to go with Burris Signature Zee rings. The inserts hold the scope well, w/o marking the tube, and the offset inserts allow you to get the most out of your scope's availible elevation.

i vote for these also

Back