New to F class F T/R

S

Seanhagerty

I have never been involved in rifle shooting competitions before. I am intrigued by this type competition and and want to enter a few and see how things go.

I have an AR15 w/ SS 20" Bull with a 1X8 Twist that I can shoot around 1/2 MOA at 100yds from the bench using a front and rear bag. Optics are a 36X BSA platinum that I can live with for now. I have a pedestal front rest, just havent played with it yet to see if it helps or hinders.

Assuming the shooter does his part, is this rifle going to be able to hold its own in an F T/R match?

I do not think you'll win much, but I would certainly go and try to have fun. I seriously doubt that you'll have the reach to get to 1,000 yards. I have many newer shooters using AR-15s or straight from the box hunting rifles at my 600 yard matches. Most end up with a different rifle to be more competitive, but some are diehard tactical shooters just looking to shoot at 600 yards and practice wind calls.

JeffVN

I forgot one thing. If you want to play in the T/R game, you'll need to leave teh pedestal and sand bag at home. T/R requires you to shoot either .308 or .223 and use a bipod. It has a different weight limit too, but I expect your AR to be well within the weight limits.

Jeffvn

Thanks Jeff. I appreciate your honesty.

I guess I need to get a bipod installed and just give it a shot. I am not really interested in winning (Although, lets face facts, it would be nice.) I am really interested in learning how to shoot.

Sean, a word of encouragement. Give it a try. Tasco, Stock recoil pad taped on, Wood stock Mauser. I shot yesterday and it was the most fun I have had with a riffle in years. Everyone was helpful, everyone seemed intent on encouraging and newcomers. Granted, it was an informal non - stressful event, but I can practically guarantee a good time. There was also a contingent of Marines with, yep, AR-15's and Ruger mini 14. This was 600 yards. The target was huge, and one shooter on my relay had an excellent spotting scope. I hadn't realized you can follow the bullet track like that. The fact that I had help getting on paper quickly, 2 shots, made it easy. My last round of twenty were all within the 7 ring or better, one X. Just to keep us from getting cocky, there was a world ranked lady shooting adjacent to me with sling and iron sights, of 20, all but 2 or 3 X's, I believe. You will learn how to shoot better, and have a great time. Go for it. Find out what you can about some heavier bullets and load em up, get em' on center at 100 or 200 yards, and move out and up. A rear bag is TREMENDOUS asset.

Sean I started shooting F-TR 3 years ago with a purpose built AR-15 with 28 inch krieger barrel 1and 6.5 twist so I could shoot 90 gr bullets. I was competative in my local matches. This year I did build a Bolt gun. The experience with the AR allowed me to learn the sport and learn to read wind better so I could compete when I did move to a bolt gun. That being said 70 and 80 grain bullets will be your limit with a 1 and 8 twist. Go have fun and learn all you can about the sport and decide if it is for you.

Sean - Your AR will be more than enough to get you started at reduced range matches of 600 yards and shorter. Not every location has the luxury of a 1,000 yard range and there are more reduced range matches than 1,000 yard matches. You'll need a bipod and a rear bag since you'll be shooting F/TR. First order of business is developing a good load. The length tolerant 77 gr Sierra may be a good place to start, not the most efficient ballistically but capable of good accuracy out to 600 in most ARs with a suitable barrel twist rate. Next on the list would be a scope upgrade. Sightrons have proven fairly good for the money and I know a few folks who have used them with some success and no problems for years. Not a Nightforce or March but good for the price.

Main thing is to get out and get started. Everyone has to start somewhere and most of us started with what we had on hand. The purpose built customs come with time, if you decide you like the sport enough to invest in better, and much more expensive equipment. No sense sinking a ton of money unless you like the sport.

I was very fortunate in that the folks I ran into when I first started in F and F/TR were friendly and helpful. One time I was traveling on business and stopped at a match simply intending to watch and shoot the breeze. Instead the folks from the Desert Sharpshooters insisted I shoot and set me up with a beautiful Roy Dunlap rifle. Of course by the time I'd figured out the rifle I was in last place, but I got to watch 26 new national records being set and was amazed at how gracious some pretty well known people were.

To me, while it's nice to compete and actually win an occasional match (very occasional), it's been more important to meet a lot of really fine folks. Some of whom have become friends. And to have good friends when doing something you like is way more important than a fake wood plaque gathering dust. At least that's what I think.

Anyhow, your AR will likely not do more than place in local reduced range matches and to actually be competitive at higher levels you'll have to upgrade to a good bolt rifle system. If you are just starting out and don't have a lot of spare change, you'll have to do it like Johnny Cash's Cadillac, one piece at a time. So for instance, if you upgrade to a better scope pick one that will be good enough to use for awhile like putting it on the next rifle or two. Shop around for a used rifle which will work well until you can afford to rebarrel or whatever else you think it needs. Or start with the Savage F/TR or F which while much maligned is the only affordable purpose built off the shelf rifle available. A few of them have been quite successful.

Back