New to benchrest shooting First BR rifle recommendations? Advice sought!

G

gqllc007

I am looking for my first BR bolt rifle. I would like to get into a bolt action .22lr for friendly range competitions. I have a decent idea about scopes but am clueless about the bolt rifle. 50 yards will be the distance. Price from $1500-3500 is ok minus the scope. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am 55 and have been shooting since 6 years old so I know the basic fundamentals.

There are 3-4 custom, quality BR guns right now here in the classified section you could/ should look at.

If you can afford in the 3500 range, you can buy a good used custom as Tim said or see about having a custom built from scratch.

You can get a pretty good rifle for that kind of money. Don't jump on the first thing you see. In terms of a used rifle - Look at rifle weight vs whatever game there is you might be interested in and try your best to determine how well the rifle will shoot. If it won't shoot well, or if you can't determine how well it will shoot...just don't buy it.

I should have taken advise that I got here and made it to a few matches and watched what others shot, talked to people and expanded my knowledge before jumping in with both feet. BUT, having more money than sense, I started off by having three custom rifles built. Although all three are great and shoot well, with what I know now, all three would have been built somewhat differently and I am spending more money having two of them modified.

I now want to add a Rim Fire Bench Rest Gun to my stable, but am preceding slowly to make sure I do not make another mistake.

You might want to check with Bob White at the Shooters Corner. He usually has a great selection of used Bench Rest Guns. He has been shooting bench rest for over 50 years and I am sure will not send you in the wrong direction. He also put me in touch with a guy who only builds rimfire bench rest rifles and I have had some interesting conversations with him.

Good shooting.

Bob

Last edited:
Right up someone's alley

Bob Barnhart is selling his Gorham/Muller 8 groove which is a proven winner.
The pictures were taken today at the PSL match at the St Louis Benchrest Club...
Posted with Bob's permission.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 271
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 314
Bob Barnhart is selling his Gorham/Muller 8 groove which is a proven winner.
The pictures were taken today at the PSL match at the St Louis Benchrest Club...
Posted with Bob's permission.

I have no dog in this fight, but that's built from all the top tier parts out there right now, and is just barely over the cost to buy the parts.

Back