New To Benchrest Questions on Build...

10ring1

Hi Guys, I am bitten by the Benchrest bug. I have followed Nipper's thread and I am kinda in the same exact boat. I have a fully loaded 10/22 and I have pretty much given up on that after reading all of your great advice. I want to build a bolt bench rifle. I've thought about used one from classifieds, but I was hoping to construct one of my own, unique to me. I have contemplated which way to go. I have contemplated going with Anschutz because I am partial to them. I have a lead on a 1807 barrelled action NIB for a good price. I also contemplated just being patient and saving enough money to get a 2007 or 2013 barrelled action. I was hoping to make the 10.5# class, if not then the 13.5# class. My other option was a Hall action with maybe Lilja barrel Jewel 2 oz trigger, and stith stock. Anyone have any suggestions, advice, or experience with any of these? Thanks in advance and I greatly appreciate all of your expert advice.

I assume the 1807 is a 54. If so, I would choose it over the 2013 unless you want the ability to change barrels easily. I think for BR it will serve you better than the 2013 in many ways. The Hall would likely be the best shooter.

Can't disagree with your thoughts or the advice given. I would opt for the used bench rifle and get shooting. Not the same as building your own though. Whichever way you go, stay under the 10 1/2 lb. limit. You'll be legal in any of the games you want to play, except the sporter of course.

Ken

I'll chime in the same advice I gave Bill (Nipper), and that is to buy one of the fine used rigs in the classifieds. There is a Gene Davis built Anschutz in a Stith stock w/ 2 oz Anschutz trigger that should make someone a very nice rifle, and for only $1500. If you do the math, you just can't even come close buying components & having a gun built. Build one later after you really get some experience & better know exactly what you want. That way you can get shooting almost immediately, and you'll have something good to shoot while you're getting the custom made later. You probably won't lose any money on the used rig, and might even come out ahead.

Personally, I bought the Accu-Shot that was (is) in the classifieds. According to Joe T., I saved about $1,000.00 over having the same or similar gun built. I got rings & offset risers from Hall yesterday & now I'm ready to go have some fun.

BTW, word has it that the Nipper did something big about a rifle this week. So, we are all waiting for you to fess up, Bill. What did you buy?

Buy Used

I agree, get a used gun from the classifieds, I build my own guns and $1500 won't even buy the parts for a new gun now days. The Ans. 54 actions are good shooters but I think that the 60 degree bolt lift is a slight drawback on a bench gun, mine requires that I hold on to the stock when cocking it so as not to disturb it on the bags. I also use a ULA and it only requires one finger to lift the bolt, same for my wife's 40X. That's just personal preference of course but see if you can try a few, they do feel different.

Dennis

b/r

i agree buy one from the classifieds and get shooting. there really is no cheap way to do this.

i lucked into a beautiful gene davis win 52d that shoots great for 1200.00 but i got it before the b/r season started. if you are in no hurry then look around but i dont think you can throw together a better rifle than 1500bux.

some of the rifles in the classifieds are proven rifles that have won like the hangnisto 40x for 1500. wow and it didnt hang around long i knew it wouldnt.

look at the final shoots and look at the equipment lists to get an idea by these way these sellers stand behind their sales too.

get shootin

bob

I love my Anschutz 54./Hart/Edge/Weaver T36 16 250's last season:):):)

rifle

steve

just kidding with you put it in the classifieds and watch it sell fast. there are people lurking just waiting for winning rifles such as you have and price in this case probably wouldnt matter much. especially those that know you.

bob

cwop,

Bob, PLEEASE buy Steve's rifle, or at least borrow it for the season.

Ken

joe,

i bought a new hall action rb/rp, should be here next week, i am going to try some black box ely sunday in the 10/22 i am also still debating on getting another bolt sized to .040, the one i am shooting now is .042 and my rim thickness is averaging .039,seems worth a try for 70.00, i will be shooting it for a least 3 more months

bill

tango 2

i already have 4 b/r rifles i dont dare drag another one in here. i like each and every one of them and invite people to my home to shoot off my stand. i have terrible eyesight but that doesnt stop me from trying to do my best.

i had a great day yesterday shooting my martini international with a unertl scope on it. is it a true b/r rifle not but its great fun to shoot. as per fred and don stith i have started to buy better ammo and the results are just great. i tried some aquilla match pistol and this rifle loves that stuff.

now if my pappas rest arrives soon i expect to see hopefully an improvement in my shooting. then i will need a set of flags i suppose but thankfully my stand is 50ft from my front door.

live is good in central missouri

best regards

bob

Back