New SPEC Rifles!!!!

tonykharper

Jeff Patterson to build new SPEC rifles!!!!

Below is a quote from Bill Calfee. I took this from his website. Here is a link to his thread and it shows some pics of his SPEC rifles.

http://www.wwaccuracy.com/showthread.php?5890-Patterson-SPEC-rifles-and-pistols

This news brings with it many questions. Calfee used some different components for his spec rifle series but basically they were E Turbo actions, Shilen barrels, Jewell triggers, Pippin/McMillen Stocks, and Harrel's muzzle devices.

Jeff has many options today. I can't wait to see what components he will choose.

Another question is how will they be sold. He build them on request, or build them and then offer them for sale, or perhaps auction them off over the website.

This just might add a spark we can use about now. I sure hope so.

One thing for sure, when I and many others, see the first one at a match we will be trying like hell to beat it!!

Here is the Calfee quote:

"Just had a long conversation with Jeff

CYA friends:

I just had a long conversation with Jeff Patterson about him producing a line of SPEC guns.

He's cited by the prospect.....

And not only that, he's wanting to carry on the original Calfee SPEC rifle cosmetic theme.

SPEC 4 is where I started this cosmetic action treatment...

Only two of the Calfee SPEC rifles did not have this cosmetic action treatment, SPEC 5 and SPEC 13.

With SPEC 5, I felt this action cosmetic treatment might overshadow the subdued character of the rifle, particularly since the name was Black Death.

On SPEC 13 the stock was so multi colored, that I felt this cosmetic action treatment might make the rifle look to "busy"....

Having said the above, if I could go back in time, I believe I would use this cosmetic action treatment of both SPEC 5 and SPEC 13.......

Jeff said he'd love to carry this cosmetic action treatment over to his SPEC guns...

I told him I'd be proud for him to do so....

CYA friends, back in 2008, when I built the SPECS, my dream was to produce a line of RFBR guns that would stand the test of time.

To do this, they not only had to be killer accurate, they had to be stunning in appearance.....

Each had to be a an individual work of ART.......

I wanted every owner of a Calfee SPEC to be doubly proud when they walked to the firing line.

This is why I did the special cosmetics and started naming them.

And now, 12 years later, my dream has come true......they have stood the test of time.

Jeff Patterson, I believe, after our conversation today, is going to carry the SPEC tradition forward.

I'm cited...

Your friend, BC "

TKH

Last edited:
Interesting stuff Tony.
I understand that he has been somewhat of a protege of BC's. Do you have any knowledge as to his success as a builder? Has he built many guns? Has he built any winning guns for any accomplished shooters?
Thanks for any input.

Interesting stuff Tony.
I understand that he has been somewhat of a protege of BC's. Do you have any knowledge as to his success as a builder? Has he built many guns? Has he built any winning guns for any accomplished shooters?
Thanks for any input.

I am not familiar with Jeff's customer list, but I heard he built Jerry Smith's rifle. Jerry just won the Frog Level tournament shooting two 2500's in the process.

But, I also heard Richard Gorham chambered the rifle. It is really hard to get straight information on some of our other channels. So, I really can't answer your question.

Although I've never seen Jeff to post much maybe he will see this and let us know his plans.

If I hear anything I'll post it.

TKH

I am not familiar with Jeff's customer list, but I heard he built Jerry Smith's rifle. Jerry just won the Frog Level tournament shooting two 2500's in the process.

But, I also heard Richard Gorham chambered the rifle. It is really hard to get straight information on some of our other channels. So, I really can't answer your question.

Although I've never seen Jeff to post much maybe he will see this and let us know his plans.

If I hear anything I'll post it.

TKH

Thank you. Kind of why I posed the question, recent posts over at RA seem to indicate it was somewhat of a group project.

Last edited:
Per the owner, Jerry Smith

JOINT EFFORT:

Took many in the rimfire world to make BUBBA a contender, Jeff Patterson with the build, Richard Gorham for the barrel work,Ivan Wells for the trigger and firing pin and bolt tuning, and Bob Cleveland for my mentor and free shooting lessons thanks to all

JOINT EFFORT:

Took many in the rimfire world to make BUBBA a contender, Jeff Patterson with the build, Richard Gorham for the barrel work,Ivan Wells for the trigger and firing pin and bolt tuning, and Bob Cleveland for my mentor and free shooting lessons thanks to all

Jerry,

It usually takes a team to accomplish great things and shooting is no different.

Thanks for the info but that brings up more questions.

What part of building the rifle is left if one person did the barrel/chamber, another the firing pin, trigger, and bolt?

I guess that means Jeff did the stock, bedding, and turned the MD to size?

Or have I missed something?

TKH

Jerry,

It usually takes a team to accomplish great things and shooting is no different.

Thanks for the info but that brings up more questions.

What part of building the rifle is left if one person did the barrel/chamber, another the firing pin, trigger, and bolt?

I guess that means Jeff did the stock, bedding, and turned the MD to size?

Or have I missed something?

TKH

I really don't know. I just cut and pasted Jerry Bobs post from RA. I am assuming Jeff probably worked on the action also, I think it is a 10X.

I am not sure I agree with the team comment though. Some smiths do all the work. Penrod and Langley do metal and stock work (others probably do also). Actually, any gun built here at Holeshot for a specific build has an action, stock and all stock work, barrel lapping and fitting, my tuner and all the finish work and testing done in my shop. I am not currently doing any specific builds right now. About the only thing not manufactured here is the barrel blank, trigger, screws and raw material for the parts.

I also heard that to have a special lapping process for your customers. Do you do that for other prospects?

I also heard that to have a special lapping process for your customers. Do you do that for other prospects?

No. Buy a Shlen ratchet or one of Mullerworks lapped by Tolvstad and you have all that you need. I don't really do anything special.

Back