New Sinclair Bipod

Dave Rabin

The new, "third generation" Sinclair F-Class bipod is now available, at least in the black finish. Have any of you tried it? I'd be interested in your feedback. Thank you.

Dave Rabin

Ordered mine in September...

Still waiting... as are most folks who ordered. Seems like they dribbled a few out the door to stave off irate customers for a time.

Hi Dave,

I've got one and it's a piece of art. It's lighter than anything out there. Very stable and very easy to install on any rifle. I installed it on my .375 hunting rifle in less than 30 seconds by using the sling swivel knob. It can also be attached using an Anshutz rail. I really like the fine adjustment feature. It has almost a full inch of micro adjustment. The bow is lazer cut from 7075-T6 plate and then hardened. There is absolutely no flex at all. It's 16" from center foot to foot. Racheting locking handles on legs and canting mechanism, that you can position for your own comfort. Oh, and the outboard legs are all graduated, so you can find your favorite shooting height which really speeds up your set up time.

Bob,

You must have a different definition of 'art' than I do... mine has lots of chatter marks all over the arches - how do you get those from 'lazer' cutting? Looks more like someone needs to slow down the feed rate on a cutter. Doesn't affect the function, but not quite the finish I was expecting from a Sinclair product.

And its not the lightest thing out there either. Lighter than the previous Sinclair bipods, or maybe a Remple, but not lighter than a Harris, GG&G, or Centershot (and I'm sure there are others).

Monte

Hey Monte,

Happy New Years!

The "Art" I mentioned was in regards to fit and function, not the finish on the metal arch. They are laser cut and yes the machine could have gone slower. If you an I were finishing them it would be a different story but then they would cost more. I didn't want to get into a pissing contest over the other manufactued bi pods by saying "The lightest that will function the best due to stability and ease of set up." After all, that is what a shooter is looking for. That would have opened up a can of worms for people to argue about all Winter. Here is my point on this bi pod. It's so stable that I'd use it in F Open without feeling handicapped.

Bob

Monte,

I forgot to ask, How do you like yours? Your an F-TR guy. Is it a stable platform? Do you have a favorite, that you would use over this one?

Bob

Bob,

I've been using a Centershot for most matches over the last couple years. They can be a bit fragile - enough that I keep a Harris bipod stud installed in my sling rail right behind where the Centershot 'pod goes, and a 'spare' Harris in the side pouch of my gun case. Came in handy when some ninny flipped his chair over on my gun (with him still in it) @ Lodi this fall.

I *want* to like the Sinclair bipods... I just have a hard time shooting consistently off of them (at least the Gen 2) - seems like the little bit of shoulder-pressure I put against the gun is enough to make the legs flex (front to back) and they *really* don't behave well when I do that! IIRC I was mostly using them directly on the concrete/dirt firing line, not on a slick plastic sheet like I do the Centershot. It may be that when I do, the new one will behave more consistently.

The Gen 3 markings are something I had been wanting for a long time on the Gen 2 - I think I will go back and high-light the markings with a silver paint-pen to make them more visible though. Everything else on it seems to work as advertised, and the elevation screw should simplify some of the hassle during initial setup on the firing line. The bipod connector 'pin' definitely seems to work smoother and with less hassle than the one on my Gen 2.

Its funny you should mention using it for F/Open... I've wondered if the wide stance would actually work to help tame some of the bounce/torque of the 7mm/.30 cal magnums we're starting to see in F/Open...

Monte

Monte,

In regards to those laser cut marks on the bow. I just got off the phone with a company that uses that technique instead of water jetting. The guy told me that is the finish they also get. If their customers want a smoother finish then they have to finish machine them out. I think it's a cost thing. I shot my .375 with 300 grn bullets off of it yesterday and it did seem to calm the torque down. It just may benefit the larger calibers but I don't think it will replace the ground rest for F Open with the big calibers. Most guys who have problems with the magnums don't have a heavy enough rest or a wide enough foot print on their bases. The other problem is their front bags are filled to full with sand. A hard bag will cause the rifle to bounce on recoil. Then there is always the fact that some of the problems are related to the shooters ability to load consistant ammo and actually be able to shoot.

The F-Tr guys do an amazing job considering the weight limitations, a bi pod, a small target and the caliber restrictions.

I tested loads for my rifle with the new sinclair bipod off the bench at the range with no problem. When I went to the 300 yd. line on damp grass in prone with the bipod to get use to the bipod I was shooting a 4-6" groups with my barnard action 308win rifle. With my Sako hunting rifle I could get 2" groups at that range when I had a harris bipod. Could you explain the technique to get consistent groups off the sinclair. My called shots did not match the vertical/ horizontal movement I saw on the target. Do I lean into the sinclair? what about cheek pressure on the stock. I pulled the palm grip back into my shoulder. Tried to let it divide pressure between the rear bag and the stock into my shoulder. I like the new sinclair but can't figure out proper technique. Please help.

Monte,

Maybe you can help CADDIE5 with his question. I don't shoot a bi pod in competition, I only kill things with mine.

I was kind of hoping someone who uses one more regularly than I would chime in... most of my recent use in matches has been on borrowed guns in team matches. I had enough other issues going on at the time (stocks that didn't fit, 3# triggers, insane switching winds) that it wasn't exactly a record performance.

That said... in my experience, you do not want to put any kind of front or back pressure against the Sinclair 'pod. A very neutral grip seems to work best. The higher up you have it set, the more the legs flex fore and aft. Normally I use a somewhat light grip, same as I do with my Palma rifle. About as much pressure as I would to hold a hammer in my hand - thats just *holding*, not the grip I'd use when striking something. Head pressure was light to medium - not supporting the whole melon like when shooting with a sling, but just enough to get a consistent position for eye relief. I did notice that the Gen 2 I was using in Ireland in the Creedmoor Match had a pronounced tendency to hop to the left, same as a Harris, if I set up in a 'normal' prone position (right knee pulled up, body weight shifted to the left, maybe a slight angle of the body to the left). A flatter position with the legs splayed out and hips flat to the ground should limit that considerably.

Unfortunately I can't claim to have 'mastered' this particular bipod - still workin' on that.

HTH,

Monte

Thanks I will try that at the range tomorrow. Do I need to put something under the bipod because of the wet soft grass-- it will be 47*F tomorrow in Chicago area which is unusual- no snow. Also the range is setup so that you have to shoot up to the targets--at 300 yds. the rise is about 10 foot from the level view at the 300 yd line. Pits are ground level behind earth, sand, and concrete. Therefore I have to setup the bipod 3.75" out of bipod vetical range of 5.5" on the legs. I have a heavy nearsighted prescription, bifocals, and astigmatism. Coke bottle glasses- eyesight prescription too heavy for contacts. Can't lay down any flatter but I could lower the legs a little if I use the max elevation screw on the new bipod. Have a Happy New Year.

I think most people find that something under the front works a little better. Anything from a floor mat out of the car to an old bath mat/rug to a smooth plastic sheet - I use a couple plastic flexible cutting boards from the grocery store, held together with some velcro dots - should help make things more consistent as well as make it easier to *not* pre-load the 'pod... it should just slide away when you start to push against it.

One of the local range has a similarly healthy up-angle to the 300yd targets even from the bench. From prone, its almost impossible. I will say that when you get that kind of setup going, and looking out the edges of your glasses rather than the optical centers... all sorts of weirdness and 'inconsistency' can result.

+1 I use a very "high tech" floor mat from my car under my bipod.

JeffVN

Star Shooters Bi Pod

Star Shooter Bipod Specs:

• Height Adjustment: 4 1/2 in. in lowest position with the width of 19 in.

and up to 9 1/2 in. in highest position with the width of 13 1/2 in.

• Weight: 1 lb 14 oz.
• Maximum stock width: Up to 3-inches or more

Waiting for one of these my friend has one and claims its by far the best B-iPod made,he has a Sinclair (not the new one.My brother has a remple and its dam nice but a little heavy.

CF-SS20Bipod202011.jpg

I really like the new one, it's only four ounces lighter than the old one though. But the elevation adjustment is really nice.
2012-03-04_14-25-02_236.jpg

2012-02-17_15-20-05_695.jpg

got My Star shooter bi-pod

The Star shooter is much more stable, and is very nicely finished and fit than the second generation Sinclair, and very easy to use with elevation wheel and the locks are very solid. Will shoot it tomorrow if weather okay.

P1080516.jpg

P1080506.jpg

P1080502.jpg

P1080472.jpg

P1080480.jpg

Hello to every one....I see some actual competitors on this thread and am curious about bi-pods....is a brace allowed to be installed from the two legs to the rear of the stock near the action...maby use a guard screw to secure it to the stock????,,,,Thank You for any help....Roger

Hello to every one....I see some actual competitors on this thread and am curious about bi-pods....is a brace allowed to be installed from the two legs to the rear of the stock near the action...maby use a guard screw to secure it to the stock????,,,,Thank You for any help....Roger

Nowhere in the rules does it say much of anything about the design of the bipod, or how its attached to the rifle. As long as you stay under the weight limit, there is considerable latitude to do what you want.

Thank YOU Monte....I am trying to make one here at home out of thin wall tubing...it will have 1/2 tube runners on each leg and I am thinking about running a brace to the rear to an action bolt to triangulate it for rigidity .....I know you are a shooter ,and understand my question...and my concern to meet the guidelines and rules.....thanks again...Roger

Back