New Shooter and the Rules

L

LarryD

Posts 1 NEW Shooter and The Rules
I have been a Kettlefoot member since 92, and just started shooting 22 BR this Spring. Being new and
knowing nothing about the sport I felt somewhat on the outside. Our Rangemaster, Cliff Keesee took
a lot of time and attention to make me feel welcomed and comfortable about this new (to me) sport.
Begining with the saftey aspects, to how matches are conducted , the rules, targets, scoring, guns,
scopes, reading the wind (I wont live long enough), he gave me a basic understanding of the game. He
got me to a comfort level to where I wanted to enter my first match. He introduced me to some of the
finest folks I have ever met, both here at Kettlefoot, and folks from out of town. I owe him a great debt
of gratiude. To date my experince with 22BR has been a genuine pleasure.
I bought a rifle and began to practice a little. I ask Cliff to weigh my gun to assure I could shoot in the
10 1/2 and 13 1/2 classes, it weighed 10 lb.6 oz. I entered my first match in April,and was having a ball
watching some of the most skilled rifle shooters I have ever seen.( these guys are almost unbeliveable)
Then about three weeks ago a funny thing happened, the gods of luck hit me, I shot a 249 in the 10 1/2 class. Knowing the skill of the shooters at this match I didnt think twice about wining. I went home.
Lo and behold that was the best score for that target, I had won! Cliff Keesee disqualified me, because my gun was unavailable to be weighed. Three other winners were also disqualified for the same reason.
Two from Kettlefoot and one from out of town. Having watched the matches I have shot being
conducted to the highest professional standards I have no problem with the rules being enforced.
If I ever get that lucky again, I think I will hang around and have my rifle weighed. I love this game and
I want to play by the rules. I think Rangemaster Keesee will see to it. He is like fox News , fair and balanced.

Shoot some ARA. If you get DQ'ed at ARA, you were trying to..8>)

Congratulations on your fine shooting and victory.
ifldned

LarryD
Congradulations on your target, but if you are talking about the State and Regional Shoot. Winners of there class have to have there guns weighed (first three spots)to insure the weight is correct for that class. This should have been explained to you at the start of the match and you should have inquired about the rules. Maybe you just didn't hear them explain this at the start. Look on the 50/50 web site and print out a set of rules to read, get to know them well. Next time check on the rules of the range before the matches start. Do this even if it's just a local monthly shoot. Hope this helps!

Larry,
I too have been dq'd several times for the same thing. I had no one to blame but me. You shot great and I'm sure you will in the future. Keep up the good work.
Jim

Larry I appreciate your post. Rules are there for a reason and must be enforced. Not all are as understanding about them as you are. As most of you are aware I have been on sick leave for the most part of this season. I have not been able to shoot for two years and only been able to score one match at Kettlefoot this entire year. For a few people to cry and complain about being disqualified for their own mistake and/or saying our scoring plugs are not legal. I will assure you that the rules were followed and the scoring plugs have been checked more than one time by Wilbur Harris and have always past his inspection. Cliff Keesee spent many an hour finding someone that would build the Scoring plugs to the exact .224 allowed size. We have had several referees comment after they have used our plugs that they were the best plugs they have ever scored with, including the 4 or 5 people that are complaining now. When they themselves were appointed referees at different matches none of them complained at all. I say no one has come to Cliff or me with any grievance or anything better to score with. In sharing your grievance with others by mouth or e-mail is tearing down a man’s reputation as a Rangemaster and hurting their own Club by continue to carry rumors of bad news. I hope when I am able to return to Kettlefoot and again do the scoring that you will either show me your new plugs that you want me to use and where we are doing things wrong or quite complaining this has gone on long enough.

Sincerely,

Ron Spears

Last edited by a moderator:
....saying our scoring plugs are not legal. I will assure you that the rules were followed and the scoring plugs have been checked more than one time by Wilbur Harris and have always past his inspection. Cliff Keesee spent many an hour finding someone that would build the Scoring plugs to the exact .224 allowed size. We have had several referees comment after they have used our plugs that they were the best plugs they have ever scored with, including the 4 or 5 people that are complaining now. When they themselves were appointed referees at different matches none of them complained at all. I say no one has come to Cliff or me with any grievance or anything better to score with. In sharing your grievance with others by mouth or e-mail is tearing down a man’s reputation as a Rangemaster and hurting their own Club by continue to carry rumors of bad news. I hope when I am able to return to Kettlefoot and again do the scoring that you will either show me your new plugs that you want me to use and where we are doing things wrong or quite complaining this has gone on long enough.

Just my opinion..but an unsolicited defense can sometimes do more harm than good.

Gentlemen:
I think there may be some misunderstanding about my post. I am not complaining about being DQ .
Back in April, Cliff Keesee explained to me, that to have a wining rifle validated,one could have a referee
or him weigh the rifle,if leaving prior to the scores being finalized. I did not think the score was a winner
it was my own fault. I shot a great venue with great folks and had a great time.
I think the mearsure of any sport is how professionally the rules are followed. Good Lord willing ,I will continue
to participate for a long time. Hopefully, I will learn someting about reading the wind along the way.

Back