NEW MEMBER- 6 mm long range bullets ??

6mmBR

As a new member today this is my 1st post !! I'm having a 6mmBr built as we get together on this forum. It will have a BAT action, 28" Krieger 4 groove barrel, McMillian Tooley MBR stock, and a 12x42 NXS scope.
As this rifle is being put together I'm collecting components for the matches. I have powder(Varget),primers (205/205M/450's), some bullets(95gr VLD, 105gr VLD and Hybrid, a few 107 SMK's, and a few 105 A-Max's). My question is what do you use mostly for 600 and 1000 yard shooting ?? Are the Bergers the norm still to shoot or do you use custom bullets or others ? I had shot at Williamsport already a couple years ago with a BAT 6x47 Lapua. Had to sell it for other reasons. Now I'm getting back into the sport again. I shot short range PPC for a few years back in the early 2000's. I now want to shoot the G-Hog matches that are close to me and also the 600 in Del and 1000 at Williamsport when the rifle is finished. Maybe some of the other 600/1000 matches once I get a good feel for the rifle. Just looking for some good advice getting back into this sport. It's been awhile so I do know what the "HOT Bullets and powder combo's" anymore.
Thanx in advance for replies,
6mmBR

I think the 105 Berger’s and 107 SMKs for 1000 yard and the Ground Hog matches, I have a friend that shot 95's at a 1000 yards and did decent, it wouldn't be my first choice. I have another friend that used to use 95 Berger’s with great success at Ground Hog matches but he has recently went to the heavier bullets. Personally I use either the 108 Berger’s or the 107 SMK's, preferring the 107's

Last edited:
Books to get

You didn't mention twist rate, but I'm guessing 1 in 8.

I suggest getting the new Berger manual. Read Brian Litz' section about the G7 coefficient and why it's important. Of course there's also load data for all their bullets in most calibers, but some of their top loads look a little conservative. I'd also suggest getting Brian's book "Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting". It will give the G7 coefficient for those 107 Match Kings and others. Then you can use it in the ballistics program on the Berger web site to get more accurate predictions than with the G1 coefficient.

If you have a 1in 8 twist barrel and wanted a good bullet to start with i would get some Berger 105 hybrid.They are easy to tune and get RL-15. The BR at 1K is a little slow and hard to keep up to the conditions but it makes life easy to start with....... jim

Yes, my barrel is a 8 twist. Sorry bout that. I've looked for RL 15 theres none to be had around my area, I have 8 lbs of Varget now. Wholesalers don't even have any or much of anything else in these rageing days of buying frenzies. I just picked up the Berger load manual,
Thanx again,
6mmBR

Varget on hand? Look no further!

I have a Savage Long Range Bench Rest 6mm BR Norma with an 8 inch twist. To get started, I chose Berger 108 match bullets, 29.5 grains of Varget, and Federal 205m primers. I have never tweaked it or looked back. I think I am about .008 off the lands. It gives very good accuracy. I won factory class in IBS score with it and in egg shoots it has never missed an egg. I will try it in F-class this spring. Varget would work just as good with the 105 VLD's. I have seen folks use up to 30.5 grains with the 108's in the same rifle as mine, but that may be pushing things a bit.

6mm long range bullets or is it projectiles?

I know several guys that shoot 6mm long range and they all swear by the 115 gr Dtacs. They are the Dave Tubb bullets, I hear they are made by Sierra to Tubbs design and specs. From what I can see thay are cheap, but you have to buy them 500 at a time.

Back