new long range rifle

D

dansig

I finally got the load development done on my Stiller Predator, and it shoots just so well :)

shot this at the range today, 5 shots in under 2 minutes and the bullet is Sierra Gameking 165gr not a competition bullet :)

100m.jpg

and this is the Stiller :)

stiller.jpg

this was at 100m, now that load development is done I will go for 500m :)

That hole IS pretty black, I'll accept that 5 bullets went through it :)

nice group.

what's it agg?

30 Cal?

I have several precision hunting rifles and killed an elk in New Mexico at 200 yards with that very same bullet.

Don't tell any of those wiz-bang-magnum guys, but it was chambered in .308. One shot through the heart.

If it won't shoot Sierras it most likely won't shoot anything else.

Last edited:
just finished load developing, will go for the agg next week when I'm done loading...

this is .308 with Palma chamber.

I have a .300 win mag if I want to burn more powder with less result.. but it still shoots sub .5 moa :)

How did you 'zero' your calipers?

I put a .308 bullet between the jaws and pressed Zero just as I was taught by some benchrest guys...

that way the group is measured center to center from the bullets furthest apart.

Incidentally, if that group were scored professionally I'll put it at .135-.145

NICE group :)

al

Nice rifle !!!

Who did the gunsmith work, whose the barrel maker, and who made the stock? You just cant post a picture of a group and not give the vital info, that would not be polite.

The barrel is krieger LV contour .30cal 10 twist.
Stock is GRS Long range stock
Action is Stiller Predator LBLP
Trigger is Timney 4oz
Scope is Nightforce 5.5-22x56

Gunsmith is Arnfinnur a local smith in Iceland.

The stock maker is in Norway,
http://grsriflestocks.com/grodas/long-range

I've been surfing the net for rifle competition in Iceland. It seems the shooting sports are somewhat popular, but no comp's. A bunch of video's of guy's shooting against themselves. What's up with that? I don't think anyone from Iceland has attended the Super Shoot since '88.

there are plenty of competitions here, most of them are something other than benchrest, like hunting rifle comp, random range comp and other strange comps...

going to super shoot is something many of us want to do, but the cost is just so high.. about $5k minimum cost...

since almost all Icelandic shooters are shooting for recriational purposes then serious competition with all the extra cost is not an option, here we can not get sponsors that will pay for our sport..

a box of Berger 68gr fb bullets cost about $75, 2lbs powder is about $100, primers 100pcs is about $10,
a new barrel chambered is about $850, custom action is about $2k.

even a pair of windflags costs us $500..

so one season in benchrest can cost $3-5k

haha.....exactly what I was thinking!

Incredible 100 meter group. And a 5 shot group no less!.....not a sllly 3 shot group.

Agree, for 100 meters a great 5 shot group.

Yeah, sometimes at my local range the 100 yd range is shut down for work and the only one available is the 50 yd range. What's the point of shooting my 6ppc at 50yds? Just like shooting bullseye pistol at 7 yds. Again, what's the point? Yet you see people doing it. If it's easy, anyone can do it.

How do you think the 100 yd load with stand up to 500 yd ?

Andy

been to the range a few times in the past 2 weeks, average is about 2.4" at 500m with smallest 5 shot group 1.53" and that's the average of 40x 5 shot groups.

so for a .308 I think it's doing quite good :)

doing a little more prep work on the cases, trimming, weight sorting and other stuff.. hoping to get the average below 2" :)

Similar costs

there are plenty of competitions here, most of them are something other than benchrest, like hunting rifle comp, random range comp and other strange comps...

going to super shoot is something many of us want to do, but the cost is just so high.. about $5k minimum cost...

since almost all Icelandic shooters are shooting for recriational purposes then serious competition with all the extra cost is not an option, here we can not get sponsors that will pay for our sport..

a box of Berger 68gr fb bullets cost about $75, 2lbs powder is about $100, primers 100pcs is about $10,
a new barrel chambered is about $850, custom action is about $2k.

even a pair of windflags costs us $500..

so one season in benchrest can cost $3-5k

The costs for all these components here in Oz are similar although the primers are about $65 per 1000. But I imagine wages are higher here as well. It's just something I have become accustomed to. BR shooting is a non essential industry as is all recreational pursuits and it seems many activities such as this are expensive.
Andy.

Back