New lathes...

I

IndianaJames

Grizzly has their new gunsmith lathe listed in their catalog now. They also have a few South Bend lathes listed.

Jim

Those South Bend lathes look like they have allot of parts interchangeable with the lathes recently imported from China, but branded; Jet, Grizzly, Precisions Mathews, Harrison, Clausing, GMC, Birmingham, Enco, and Harbor Freight.

I know the PM upgrade the contactors in the motor control. Each importer can do some custom tweeks like in all the brands of Chinese scopes coming in.

Actually...

...it looks like Grizzly's lathes come from China, but all the South Bend stuff I checked is from Taiwan.

I like the looks of that cut-off band saw from South Bend that can be flipped vertical...with a table.

Jim

The last contact I had with DeWitt Engle at LeBlond, they were having a lathe the South Bend GS26LT built in Taiwan. It looked like an original Heavy 10 and was priced about $21,000. This Grizzly South Bend looks like a Jet, Grizzly, etc with a jacked up price???

35hejup.jpg

Last edited:
I have no facts. But, my impression upon seeing the new Grizzly catalog was that Grizzly has bought the South Bend Marque, or some rights thereto, and will be marketing higher end machines with it. Why not? Jet owns Powermatic.

I have no facts. But, my impression upon seeing the new Grizzly catalog was that Grizzly has bought the South Bend Marque, or some rights thereto, and will be marketing higher end machines with it. Why not? Jet owns Powermatic.

That would be higher end, like the 1984 Cadillac Cimarron, while it had interchangeable parts with any X body, like a Chev Citation?

92650.1984.Cadillac.Cimarron.jpg

1984 Cadillac Cimarron

Southbend lathes

The Southbend Lathes that Grizzly is now marketing look (for whatever that's worth) the same as the ones that are listed on the Southbend web site (http://southbendlathe.com/lathes/14x40-Variable-Speed-Toolroom-Lathe-(EVS)-3-Phase.aspx). These particular lathes were called the "Turnado EVS"" when Southbend produced them about 10 years ago. At that time they were a Taiwanese build machine, IIRC the casting and grinding was done in Tiawan and were assembled here. The Grizzly 6000 series appear to be a copy of them. Nowadays it hard to tell who's who anymore. Grizzly has at least shown an interest in a small part of the market: manual machine tools, let alone the gunsmith industry. They wouldn't be doing it if they didn't think that the demand was there. As with most American manufacturing industries, there leaving faster by the day but, that another subject.
Would be interesting to know the full story.
Regards...Herb Coates

South Bend Lathes

Grizzly aquired ALL of South Bend last year. The name, parts and anything that was South Bend. Older parts, that were still in stock, are available.

The owner of Grizzly is a shooter, like us. He is the Vice Captain of the U.S. F Class Team.

South Bend could not be in better hands. His desire to keep the same quality as South Bend, is now and will be into the future, a very high priority.

I own a SB that was produced in 1941 and a new one The Turnado.

Just a little clarification.

I bought South Bend after years of pursuing it. Grizzly is one of South Bend's dealers. More dealers are awaiting product and the whole line should be available from almost any major dealer in the USA and around the World in a few months.

The larger South Bend lathes that show on the South Bend site are the same ones that were sold by South Bend for the last 15+ years (made in Taiwan), except we have made numerous enhancements and our QC is better than the previous guard. New models that are fashioned after the old 10K and the much coveted Heavy 10 are in the works and should hit the market in a few months. The Heavy 10 is a classic and the new one will be even nicer.

Just a little clarification.

I bought South Bend after years of pursuing it. Grizzly is one of South Bend's dealers. More dealers are awaiting product and the whole line should be available from almost any major dealer in the USA and around the World in a few months.

The larger South Bend lathes that show on the South Bend site are the same ones that were sold by South Bend for the last 15+ years (made in Taiwan), except we have made numerous enhancements and our QC is better than the previous guard. New models that are fashioned after the old 10K and the much coveted Heavy 10 are in the works and should hit the market in a few months. The Heavy 10 is a classic and the new one will be even nicer.
Good luck on this new venture. I'm sure present South Bend owners and South Bend Heavy 10 want-to-be's are glad to hear this.

The brochure I posted above is one sent to me by LeBlond some time ago. Is this the design you are planning on producing?

Congratulations....

...Shiraz. Best news I've heard in some time. You've put your money where your mouth is. Thanks!
Regards Herb Coates

Good luck on this new venture. I'm sure present South Bend owners and South Bend Heavy 10 want-to-be's are glad to hear this.

The brochure I posted above is one sent to me by LeBlond some time ago. Is this the design you are planning on producing?

Jerry - Thank you. I have a sample of the machine shown in the brochure and after studying it, found that it was not as "strong" as the brochure depicts it to be. It was actually made in Australia, and in my opinion, way overpriced for what the customer got. For some reason the Navy liked it and a lot were sold for use in the Navy's fleet.

The first small one coming out soon is a 10K that actually has many refinements built in. The company in Taiwan that is making them for us makes CNC machines and this slowdown in World economy gave us an opportunity to have them built by this company, otherwise they would not have wanted to make small machines.

The next one will be the Heavy 10 - again adding things to a very proven and solid design, making it that much more attractive.

Herb - all I can say is that the South Bend name will live up to its reputation and I hope to bring up this icon to its former glory.

Shiraz,

I bought a G4003g about 2 years ago and I have been very happy with its performance but, I am thinking of selling it and upgrading to the New slightly larger G0709. Is the G0709 readily available or is there a waiting period?

Thanks,
Med, a very satisfied customer.

Shiraz

If you market a south bend toward the gunsmiths could you try to get the spindle bore over two inches. I turned down four barrel jobs last month because my spindle bore is to small, they were 2" 50 cal. barrels.
I was thinking about contacting Grizzly about the possibility of a production change on the G0509G lathe, then I saw you on here.
I think 2.0625" would work but 2.125" would be even better.
BTW: Im using a 4003G, your old buddy Don wanted me to tell you this things a real piece of $#!% but I must say I have turned out some good work on it.

If you market a south bend toward the gunsmiths could you try to get the spindle bore over two inches. I turned down four barrel jobs last month because my spindle bore is to small, they were 2" 50 cal. barrels.
I was thinking about contacting Grizzly about the possibility of a production change on the G0509G lathe, then I saw you on here.
I think 2.0625" would work but 2.125" would be even better.
BTW: Im using a 4003G, your old buddy Don wanted me to tell you this things a real piece of $#!% but I must say I have turned out some good work on it.

hahahaha - which Don are you talking about? Might have to have him hold up a target while I practice at long range. Hundreds of happy G4003G owners, but remember, it is a very reasonable priced machine, less than $3K, so guys expecting a Hardinge for that price would have to make a mental adjustment.

.50 cal barrels are very long so headstock length is not an issue. This opens up a bunch of options like :

http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-x-50-High-Precision-Tool-Room-Lathe/G9733 with a spindle larger than 2". We also have a couple of machines in the works with 3" spindle bores, but they start to get into big machines.

Then there is the South Bend http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2010/Main/570. More bucks, but beautimus maximus!

Any fellow shooters that seriously want a big South Bend, contact me directly (I have some influence with the boss and will work a better price than listed).

It was Don Nagle.
We had a few at the world open, he knew I was buying this new lathe & wanted me to stir some B.S. with you about it. The G4003G is capable of very fine work if the machinist does whats needed to get the job done.
I knew I wasn't gonna do those big barrels on my lathe but Ive got use of a G0509G any time I get some thing big, problem is its not big enough either. (The guy specified he wanted them done through the headstock.)
So much for my plans to upgrade, at least for now anyway.
The problem for me with the bigger machines is if its big enough to do the 2" barrels the spindle is wider than most normal BR barrels are long. If I could buy the G0509G with a bigger spindle bore I could do any BR barrel out there from regular benchrest all the way up to the .50 cal. shooters with one lathe.

Last edited:
It was Don Nagle.

Thought that's who you were talking about. He ran me and my golf cart off the road in Bisley, then almost ran his own car off the road he was laughing so hard!

I see your point about being able to do a full range of barrels and not just the .50 cals.

Maybe I'm asking for to much to get one lathe that will do it all.
I bought mine to see how I like the work (with plans to upgrade when I move away from here) & now Im doing work for several other shooters too.
My first couple barrels shot very well @ the nationals, that brought some shooters to me for barrel work so Im getting anxious to upgrade.
I want to see these guys win.
I have got mine adjusted up to do what needs to be done but some times its a matter of finding a way to do something that a bigger lathe will almost do for me.
Anyway, thanks for the offer to negotiate. I'll call you when the time comes.
Till then I'll keep the gibs tight & look for better ways to do it with what I've got.

Last edited:
Back