New informal league for RF

tazzman

I am going ahead with an idea to keep the membership interested in accurate and challenging .22RF shooting. This is not anything that has ever been done where I shoot, where 95% of shooters are hunters.
I would like to have a weekly shoot @ 50 yds, I think I could keep the interest with the people here with maybe 10 weeks' worth of involvement. The season end would be a shoot @ 100 yds. I would have two classes, iron sights and scopes. It would be score. Group is not in the future, due to the politics of 'how do you determine my group size?' mentality. Future education and training might change this train of thought.
My first questions, as they regard to score shooting is: what targets are challenging enough for each discipline, at both 50 and 100 yds?
Do you go with one shot per bullseye, having 10 bullseyes per sheet?
How big should the X-ring be?
What targets are already out there that might satisfy our requirements?

I'm going to monitor this thread, mostly daily, so please give me your thoughts.

Phil Fortin aka tazzman

PS: Could I entertain including .17 HMR in this?

I do not know how big the Bullseye or X ring should be, but for our informal .22 RF matches, we are using 100 yard BR Score Targets. 6 Targets per sheet - one for sighters, 5 for score and two of those targets per holder for a total of 10 shot score.

For 50 yards we have used 50 foot ring fire targets that have 10 targets per sheet.

Bob

April - October the club of which I am a member only shoots informal matches.
2 matches a month alternating yardage.
50 yards using the green IBS target
100 yards using the NRA 50 yard small bore rifle target
Metallic and scope classes
Unlimited
Precision target (no custom actions/custom barrels/tuners/ 8.5 pound und up)
Precision sporter (same as above but 8.5 pounds and down)

Winter months we shoot a 50 foot Indoor target. No one has ever shot a perfect score. Simply due to the quality of the benches. About to change... new nice benches at the next match.
A perfect 10 is required.

Targets

Hi Phil, take a look at this website.
www.midwayusa.com

In the search field type “ paper targets “
Scroll down four rows and see the target three columns from the left.
This is a good multiple target for scoped shooting, single shot per bull and reasonably priced. At 50yds I would recommend at least a 20x scope.

For iron sight shooting at 50yds, take a look a page two, two rows down and three columns from the left, target TQ-3/5 50 could be interesting.

For 100yds, scroll down three more rows and four columns from the left.
Target MR-31C might be useful. It could be used for iron sights or scoped shooting. I hope this is helpful.

Bob

You can always go to printtargets.net and create your own. I do this for our Thur. night open classes. Print them on card stock and hey make a decent target for fun matches.
Wayne

Use the USBR target (official) and shoot at 25 and 50 YARDS. If you just shoot 50 yds those hunters will get discouraged after night #1 and you will never see em again.

Guns can be 'shoot what you got' w/ scopes the same way.

Shooting is for bragging rights only unless someone wants to throw in a couple bucks for side bet.

During the warmer months our group shoots matches each week, in a open air barn @ 50 yds, so weather is not a factor. We use a variety of targets, but mostly RBA and IR50, basically for ease of scoring. We normally have 8-18 shooters each week. We do two targets for a 25.00 entry, the payout is split as points with 23 points max. A point is awarded to best row shot ( 10 ), best center bull per row (10 ), high score per target ( 2 ) and most Xs over both targets (1) = 23. Pay out is 1.00 per point per shooter. I really think the payout is important, as sometimes is not the best shooter getting the most points. Most weeks, we have several different shooters being awarded points. It seems to work, most come back, some not every week and some never miss a match. Of course there are some, that shoot a couple of weeks and never come back.

Shooters use mostly 40Xs, 52s, Annies..... factory actions and barrels, no tuners, bipods and rear bags. Unlimited scopes, any 22LR ammo. The ones that are really interested, get real good, real quick.

We have other bonus matches as well, lower entry fee, depends on how many we have. We sometimes basic squirrel rifles, CZs mostly, match grade pistols Anschutz Exemplars, both using 12X max scopes. These are usually used with the ABRA targets, makes things interesting. Scored much the same way. We have used iron sights, using the type targets Bob spoke of, or the A23/5 doing 5 shot groups, not enough interest to do very often however. Hope this helps.

George

Hi Phil, take a look at this website.
www.midwayusa.com

In the search field type “ paper targets “
Scroll down four rows and see the target three columns from the left.
This is a good multiple target for scoped shooting, single shot per bull and reasonably priced. At 50yds I would recommend at least a 20x scope.

For iron sight shooting at 50yds, take a look a page two, two rows down and three columns from the left, target TQ-3/5 50 could be interesting.

For 100yds, scroll down three more rows and four columns from the left.
Target MR-31C might be useful. It could be used for iron sights or scoped shooting. I hope this is helpful.

Bob

Get the target number youd like to order and go to AMERICAN Target in Denver and order from them.
If you are using any amt of targets it will be much cheaper. Order one day and have the targets to MI about 3 days later. I believe the posted price includes freight. I order USBR an A23/5s.

Back