New Here

K

kevinpagano

Hi all, I just registered here and interested in trying some benchrest. I currently shoot Smallbore Silhouette and wanted to try something new. No Bench experience at all. Only have ARA here in Colorado so I probably will start there. Suggestions on Starter Guns and Benches would be great. Keep in mind I still have a growing family so an all out custom to start with is not good idea at this time. I am very competitive however.

Thanks

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the Board and to RFBR. I'll let some of the other boys answer your questions as there are a lot with more experence than I.

Al

Suhl

Many of the Suhl's that Larry Cook has for sale in the classified section, will work fine as starter rifle. Look at every gun in the Classifieds. All you need to do is add a scope and get a desent rest. Ammo testing would be the first order of business once you get the rifle.

Last edited:
Fred, thanks. I just looked at your website. Very imformative thanks.

Kevin,

Consider a 10 1/2 lb. rifle. Should you ever have a chance to shoot the other games, you won't need a new rifle.

Ken

So it looks like one piece rests are the Norm for ARA . Any suggestions??

Best deal on the market is the James Pappas one piece rest. They are priced right and If I thought there was a better rest on the market I would own it. I shoot a Pappas rest.

Charlie

Thanks everyone. I will look at those rests. The next question is. Is a one piece rest a big advantage over the 2 piece? Front and rear bag?

NO!! And you can only shoot ARA and unlimited. With the 2 piece you can shoot everything if you ever want to.

Someone that is good with a two piece is everybit as good as anyone with a one piece. There is a longer learning curve with the two piece. With a one piece, you can have the rest part of the game mastered in one session.

Thanks Gordon, I was just wondering if it offered any advantage at all and if not why would someone spend the money on one.

Kevin, there are a bunch of real good Front Rests.Fulgrum, Loggins, to name a couple Buy the best you can afford with an adjustable windage top. I like the Farley joy stick. If you have a Farley and want to sell it. You can sell it for close to what you paid for it.

Back