New guy from Nebraska and Benchrest

BR549

Couldn't find the New Members area, so this was the closest I could find. If not in the proper forum, please move. Thank you.

A little about me, I'm retired from the military in '93 and from the IT field in '12, served in the Air Force for 20+ years (served in Desert Shield/Storm in Bahrain), was a carpenter/mason worked my way up to Superintendent and became a 1st Sgt. Been married to my Bride for 33 yrs.

Been into firearms most of my life. Pretty much all aspects, and recently got into benchrest and local matches. This is my go-to site to get accurate intel on everything rimfire. The rimfire inventory has really grown in a couple of years. Have a couple of marlins (60 and 880 (the benchrest rifle that needs to upgrade into something more accurate)), 10/22 (with some KIDD upgrades), S&W 617 and 41, a couple of Buckmarks (one is my benchrest .22 and the other is a bowling pin gun).

I'm not a big poster, but do read a lot.

Thanks for having me and hope all of ya have a great day.

Bernie

Well now, welcome to the family of accuracy.
If you are here and you’ve been reading, you know what to expect. Being in Nebraska, you should get to know the BR community around you; there are many in driving distance.
I was Army but we won’t hold your Air Force experience against you.

Bernie

Hey Bernie, from one air force guy to another, welcome aboard.
I spent a week in North Plat one night, a buddy used to live there.

Bob

It was the "Perfect Storm". Combine higher than historical averages for snow this winter and the temps finally getting above freezing along with heavy rain....well, you get the idea.

Having lived and farmed in Nebraska for almost 70 years, I've never seen such wide spread flooding! We've had many localized instances of flooding in the past, but never State wide.

The wife and I took a short road trip a couple of days ago to check my farms and many of the roads are still impassible due to standing water and/or washed out bridges/culverts. We even saw a couple of irrigation pivot systems that stand 12' to 15' tall totally submerged.
The county I live in ran out of safety barricades early on and many of the roads we tried to travel resulted in back tracking to find another road which might get us headed in the right direction.

Luckily, I don't have any livestock, but I imagine many of my friends and neighbors who do will suffer some devastating losses.

Landy

Hi Bernie.
I do not shoot rimfire benchrest - but there are quite a few that do in the Lincoln area. Check out the Lincoln Isaac Walton League East of Lincoln. They hold regular matches.
Hope this helps

Stanley

Hi Bernie.
I do not shoot rimfire benchrest - but there are quite a few that do in the Lincoln area. Check out the Lincoln Isaac Walton League East of Lincoln. They hold regular matches.
Hope this helps

Stanley

Hi Stanley,

Thanks for the help and always good to hear from another Nebraskan. I live in Cozad.

I sent a link to the ARA website and offered my help to Bernie on another forum a week or two ago, so I didn't do it here again. I also told him there's a bunch of great guys and gals who shoot at Isaac Walton and if he wanted to get his feet wet, he could shoot what he's got or one of us could set him up with a backup rifle if he wanted to try it.

Landy

Thanks for all the replies. Pretty much everything is on hold right now, 1st no matches are scheduled, and 2nd got some minor flooding in the basement which happens to be finished and the man cave, nothing lost except for the carpet. No sump pump last week. 1/2 hp sump pump installed today. Carpet is being torn up tomorrow, then the dryout. etc, etc. But it could be worse. The folks out west got nailed bad, and with loss of life. Sad, just sad.

After all this is done, will probably hit Eastern Nebraska and Weeping Water gun clubs. Did shoot Rock your Glock a couple of times at Isaac Walton, but they moved it to DE Guns now I hear. That was fun.

@Stanley, thanks for the heads up, didn't know they had benchrest at Isaac.

@Landy, will take you up on your offer later in the spring. When Council Bluffs Gun Club publish their matches, I'll let you know.

B

Hey Bernie..... long shot here, based on your handle but love me some '18 Wheels and a Crowbar'....

Gary Bennett still plays right up the road from me in Amboy (My address is Yacolt but Amboy is closer, maybe 8min from the house)

Br549

Are you Junior Samples? All that water is heading my way. Reminds me of 93. The Mo. river is about 5 miles south of me. But Im at the base of the bluff so I think Im ok. Welcome, Doug.

Back