New ear protection?

Sounds plausible

That's a joke, son. Get it? "Sounds" plausible. Buy some, and let us know!

I'm a slow adopter myself. I have a gallon of good foam plugs. I tried the expensive molded kind and they were less comfortable and less effective. I'll wait for the reviews on these. These look to be expensive. Not sure how many in a set. Anu U.S. distributors yet?

Went on eBay and looked for "titanium ear plugs". What I found was those things that the piercers stick in their ears to make big holes in their lobes. Don't want to show up at a bench rest match with those, for sure.

Internet crap. Go on ebay and buy a pair of howard leight low profile electronics.

Tim, you can have your electronics. I have tried many different types. I use custom molded ear plugs in addition to muffs.

Electronics only allow you to hear lower volume sounds. The electronics have no effect on protection. The Howard Leight low profile electronic muffs have a NRR of 22. I have some old low profile muffs that I combine with the highest rated (NRR 33) Howard Leight foam plugs. Combining low profile electronic muffs with plugs would have the advantage for hearing range commands through the plugs.

Those cheap disposable plugs in the box packed as pairs still are the standard everything is measured against.

NRR of 32 to 33 dB

One of the pr0blems that still plagues NRR measurements is bone conduction into the inner ear and the low bandwidth of the measuring systems.

Impact noise (and gun shots are impact style noise) have a darn near infinite frequency bandwidth.

Internet crap. Go on ebay and buy a pair of howard leight low profile electronics.

These work great. Sometimes I double up. Indoors.....
And get a double male jack cord and you can plug in your ipod or phone......music....
I am on my second pair. They last about 6-8 yrs....constant use....
They are on sale all at Midwayusa.com.

Norm Matzen here again!

I'm sure a lot of you are tired of my ranting about hearing protection, but these "plugs" take the cake.
First, they are looking for "Crowd Source" investors. You think because no mainline investors would invest in these!
Second, there are no real details or specifications on what the attenuation is.
Third, there is no OSHA NRR specifications.

No mention of the fact that ANY attenuation from an ear plug is limited to the attenuation of the mastoid bone!
The mastoid bone attenuates slightly over 40 dB so that is as good as it can get! They mention a noise reduction of 8-9 dB as being a factor of 4.. Sorry, 8-9dB is a factor of 2.5 to 2.8 as sound attenuation is referenced to Sound Pressure Level, not energy. They down-play plastic and foam yet the real seal in the ear is still a foam plug!

The gold standard of sound protection is the yellow foamies and their like! They can offer up to 38dB if they are inserted correctly. Popular muffs are good for a maximum of about 28 dB but if amplified, allow better hearing for softer sounds where foamies distort sound due to more attenuation for high frequencies than low frequencies. That last statement may be where their comment about low frequency protection. But, foamies still have adequate protection at low frequencies just sound muffled.

If you truly want adequate protection, stick to 1. Yellow foamies, 2. amplified muffs with ER-20 plugs under them or 3. Etymotic GSP-15 blast protectors.

Indiegogo is a scam! You send money and will never receive the product. That's been my experience.

Ear protection

The mastoid bone as mentioned is important, my audiologist suggested when wearing muffs to put them as far back to cover the bone and ears to maximize the protection.:cool:

Tim, you can have your electronics. I have tried many different types. I use custom molded ear plugs in addition to muffs.

I use molded radians plugs under the electronics which cut report down below 30 db. After talking to a couple docs, trust me you want electronics over whatever else you go with.

You have a point there. The reason that I stopped using electronic muffs is that I have pretty good hearing, and I did not like the distraction, of hearing too much information from the shooters around me when the line was hot.

Boyd is absolutely right!

I use Etymotic GSP-15 Blast Protector 'cause I'm predjudiced and I designed the amplifier in them!

But I use them instead of yellow foamies as they control the perceived sound level from a whisper to a rifle blast. The popular amplified muffs do much the same except the format of all popular muffs yields only about 28 dB attenuation max. That's why I recommend using Etymotic ER-20 plugs ( ETY-PLUGS) under the amplified muffs and un-amplified muffs as then the attenuation goes from 28 dB to close to 40 dB. And you can still hear range commands clearly with the amplified muffs.

You have a point there. The reason that I stopped using electronic muffs is that I have pretty good hearing, and I did not like the distraction, of hearing too much information from the shooters around me when the line was hot.

That's where the custom molded set under them adds up to a nice balance.

Tim,

If what you want is simply as much attenuation that you can get, I recommend one of two choices;

1. Go to a competent Audiologist and ask for a custom molded plug extending past the second bend. Also tell them what you will be doing with them.

2. Buy a big box of yellow foamies.

Tim,

If what you want is simply as much attenuation that you can get, I recommend one of two choices;

1. Go to a competent Audiologist and ask for a custom molded plug extending past the second bend. Also tell them what you will be doing with them.

2. Buy a big box of yellow foamies.

You don't really need the audiologist. I have had those and done them myself with the radians kits which do the same thng as long as you can follow instructions. If done right they go past the 2nd bend nicely. When you mix up the 2 part putty, you just have to be ble to sit for 15 minutes or so without moving your jaw.
I use those alone for rimfire matches.

Tim,

It IS possible to make a good impression your self, with experience.

But, in my opinion, the error in that method is that first, the material is not ideal for an actual plug and favors the mix and insert process. Second, when the Audiologist makes an impression, they insert an Oto-Block so far in the ear canal that it usually forces a cough reflex. The Oto-Block terminates the flow of material before it can impinge on the ear drum possibly causing damage or even sticking. Most do-it-yourself kits do not include an Oto-Block as it requires a special device to insert it. And, do-it-yourself kits rarely can be made to pass the second bend (which eliminates occlusion effect pretty well).

The Audiologist then sends the impression to an ear mold lab to make the actual plug and the lab uses special materials that are medical grade, can accommodate some individual allergies and make comfortable, well sealing plugs. As the impression includes features of the outer ear, the lab will shape the plug for minimum mass as well as fitting perfectly into the entrance to the ear canal. You have the added bonus that most Audiologists guaranty their work and will work with you to insure a good fit. Yes, it will cost more for a proper custom solid plug, but the extras you get make it worth while. Remember, you wouldn't buy a BSA scope for your 1000 yd bench rest rifle, why would you buy a less than perfect ear plug to protect your non-replaceable hearing?

Back