new chamber job

B

bagul

Is it time for a new chamber? The round at the bottom was chambered on a newly copperbrushed and drypatched chamber. The round at the middle was chambered after firing 3 rounds and the top after 6 shots. The rifle is intended for hunting but I put in a match chamber. I use cci subsonic for hunting and the barrel has about 8000 rounds on it. I don’t shoot benchrest but I like hunting long range so I always try to learn from benchrest shooters. thanks in advance!

Attachments

• chambered rounds03.jpg
    chambered rounds03.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 441
is there something wrong?????

does it shoot bad? not as good as before? a bit of dirt will cause that on the bullets. 8000 rounds aint sqaut IMO. unless you been feeding it Tubbs abrasives for 5000 of that :rolleyes:.

Oh yes (I’m sorry):D, the most important thing ….it seems to have more flyer than before. “Seems” because though I do a lot of paper punching, I don’t keep a proper record (its a hunting rifle and I’m a lousy record keeper). POI have remained the same for about a year now. I’m simply trying to sort out the possible problem. What causes the bullet scratches after only the third shot? Could it cause fliers? Do benchrest rifle show the same bullet scratches? ---thanks. about the dirt, not posible coz chamber was brushed and dry patched. about tubbs, quit shooting it after 4000 rounds coz bore diameter became bigger than barrel OD:).

perhaps time for GOOD cleaning. lots of brush the bronze kind with good solvent. it could be almost anything though. bedding issue of some kind, ammo not as good as it used to be perhaps a different lot. CCI subs aint jump and down accurate for me so maybe an ammo change is in order. could be something loose. scope related or action related. maybe crown. the last place i would look is chamber.

i know you said it was freshly cleaned, but a carbon ring maybe? just a ideal.

my sentiments also. though i have no way of checking directly (i don't have a borescope nor anybody i know). If its carbon ring it must form on the lip of the cartridge to scratch the entire length of the bullet (see ammo at top and middle). I know carbon ring (or melted lead) sometimes form about an inch or so in front of the chamber but on the chamber itself??

Back