Need tester for Over inflating tires

B

Brian Voelker

All the hype on over inflating tires got me wondering if was actually tested to standards or just fly by seat of pants reporting. My big misgiving other than safety is that if you have a larger in diameter tire the odometer reads less miles and the speed on odometer reads slower. Someone give Kathy a call and get Bill off the tuners and on to testing this!
BV

We know that inflating tires can reduce fuel cost. It does this by
putting less surface area on the ground and making the tire more
buoyant. So there is a smaller surface and reduced friction. The
smaller surface area must therefore absorb more heat. Heat makes
tires wear faster. There is a slight increase in circumference,
changing the gear ratio and increasing mechanical advantage, but
not enough to matter. The center of the tread will wear off prematurely
as a result of over-inflation.

Tires are made with petroleum. They are shipped with it. If we
over-inflate them, they wear out faster. We have to dispose of the
worn tires and purchase (and manufacture) new ones. What is the
environmental impact of the increased tire demand? How much more oil
will this tire replacement cost?

Much like the lack on insight in going to ethanol. Did all the brains in Washington consider the effect on food prices when they decided to use corn for fuel? It must be me, it can't possibly be all of them.
vinny

Proper Inflation

Proper inflation will save you more in tire wear and vehicle maintenance costs, than over inflation will will save. Over inflation is not only costly, but dangerous. Of course if you follow this myth, be sure you have a good health/accident or burial policy.

Lets say that the manufacture recommends 35 psi maximum in your tires. You plan on going on a trip so in the morning when the air is cool in your tires you check them and the psi has dropped 5 psi. You inflate your tires to 40 psi which is only 5 psi over what is recomended. Then you pack up your car with your wife and 3 little childern and start out on your vacation.

Now after driving 4 hours and the outside temperature increases to over 90 degrees and the heated air in your tires increase to 50 psi and your left rear tire has a blowout and you lose control and your car goes down into a ditch and rolls over.

DUH???

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

Last edited by a moderator:
Trivia

Air expands due to temperature at the rate of 1/496 th. of its volume per degree fahrenheit and that is a law (scientific). That is based on absolute zero being -459 degrees and freezing being 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Assuming that the air in your tires are in a confined space, which it isn't, you can see why the pressure increases as much as it does.

There now, I have contributed to your body of knowledge.:) Go figure.

Concho Bill

Now after driving 4 hours and the outside temperature increases to over 90 degrees and the heated air in your tires increase to 50 psi and your left rear tire has a blowout and you lose control and your car goes down into a ditch and rolls over.

DUH???

"Aim small miss small",

gt40

You have just helped to lower the demand for gas, wasn't that the point?:D
Jerry

Heat and High Air Tire Pressure

In Texas, the road temperature can reach as high as 150 degrees on a hot sunny summer afternoon. Often when traveling home from a match, we will witness blowouts and thread separation at an alarming rate. Some time there are fatalities and other times just a costly accident. I also caution my wife, not to follow too close during these hot conditions.

What does gas have to do with tire pressure???

I'm ignorant on this subject!!

pf

<><

Paul, all the years I was with Ryder, tire maintenance cost was higher than any other cost. To keep it as low as possible, we were forced to come up with several different strategies to keep air psi at the correct level. Not over inflated and certainly not underinflated. Either way causes running costs to go up.

As stated earlier, with more psi in a tire, the less contact the tire has with the road. This will equal maybe a tad bit better mileage. It also causes the tire to run hotter and wear quicker in the middle of the tires footprint. Not to mention since less rubber is touching the road, you have less traction which equals hydroplaning in wet conditions.

I do not recommend running tires overinflated. You WILL spend more because your cost per mile per tire will go up. In the long run, you will lose money, if not much more.

Thanks yote...

Paul, all the years I was with Ryder, tire maintenance cost was higher than any other cost. To keep it as low as possible, we were forced to come up with several different strategies to keep air psi at the correct level. Not over inflated and certainly not underinflated. Either way causes running costs to go up.

As stated earlier, with more psi in a tire, the less contact the tire has with the road. This will equal maybe a tad bit better mileage. It also causes the tire to run hotter and wear quicker in the middle of the tires footprint. Not to mention since less rubber is touching the road, you have less traction which equals hydroplaning in wet conditions.

I do not recommend running tires overinflated. You WILL spend more because your cost per mile per tire will go up. In the long run, you will lose money, if not much more.

...I am relieved!!

I watched the news the other night and was told I was ignorant for not watching my tire pressure??

All this time I thought it was my blood pressure I should consider!!

pf

<><

At highway speeds you will blow an under inflated tire up much quicker than an over inflated tire... it flexes too much and heats up way to much and fails due to the flexing and heat buildup. Over inflated will give poorer traction but it will not heat up that much... over inflation does not cause heat buildup. It will run cooler if anything.

Slightly over is much better than slightly under in my opinion... driving for 53 years now... never blown a over pressured tire...

I have gotten out....

....of sandy country by taking air out of the tires. Pretty good trick but you need to do it as soon as you notice you are spinning and not get the tires to deep. gives them more bite.

I usually run my pressure in the middle to the upper 'window' of whatever the tire mfg recommends.

Hitting a bad pot-hole with over or under inflated tires hurts!!

pf

<><

Tire size

All the hype on over inflating tires got me wondering if was actually tested to standards or just fly by seat of pants reporting. My big misgiving other than safety is that if you have a larger in diameter tire the odometer reads less miles and the speed on odometer reads slower. Someone give Kathy a call and get Bill off the tuners and on to testing this!
BV

Run the Tallest/ Narrowest tire the you can. The odometer gear can be changed out at any good Transmission shop to compensate for tire height. stay at/within manufacterers specs (liability). Cut hole in floor pan for Fred Flintstone stops an starts :rolleyes:,and your on your way to gas independence....... BTW save the old wornout tires cut'em up to RESOLE your Flinstone BRAKE PADS:D

Last edited:
30 years ago

We would cut the "bead" off of a tire and stretch it over a tire that would still hold air. A poor man's retread if you will. It wasn't an easy thing to do with screwdrivers and jack levers by no means but necessary at the time.

I never understood...

We would cut the "bead" off of a tire and stretch it over a tire that would still hold air. A poor man's retread if you will. It wasn't an easy thing to do with screwdrivers and jack levers by no means but necessary at the time.

...how a retread would stay on, much less what you are describing?? Tires (in general) are pretty darn tough.

My Tahoe needs some new rubber and it is one of those items I hate buying.

pf

<><

And don't forget how fast you had to hurray before the owner got back....:D:D

Hovis

Paul, if I'm not mistaken caps are cooked on from a vulcanizing/heating process. Problem is sometimes these caps come or sling off. Big drama on the hiway when this happens on a semi. That's why I give them a wide berth on the road. I pass them as quickly as possible cause you never know when one will let go. I've seen slung caps beat the crap out of the bottom of trailer floor frames and bend heavy angle iron mudflap brackets into pretzels. We always ran caps on trailers and drive axles of trucks. I always hated them cause they sure caused alot of problems, especially at 3:00am and on weekends.

When I bought my last set of tires from Costco, they used nitrogen to inflate them. The service manager told me that because nitrogen was an inert gas the tires would not heat up or lose pressure like a tire filled with air. Anyone out there confirm or refute these claims?

Back