Need some advice on cleaning rods

I’m looking to get some new cleaning rods and wanted to see what the general consensus was on a couple of things. I’m not looking to bash any manufacturer or product, just wanted to toss an idea out and see what the majority thought.

I’ve used Dewey rods on all my “hunting” rifles over the years and been very happy with them. They make a great product. Since I bought those rods however (a long time ago) I’ve learned a lot about cleaning rifle barrels, and I’ve just recently acquired my first few “target” rifles. I’m a lot fussier now about what I use to clean my barrels and how I go about it.

The bottom line is I need some new rods for these new rifles and I can’t decide if I want to go with Dewey rods, or if I want to go with the Bore Tech “Proof Positive Bore Stix” rods. The main reasons I am looking at the Bore Tech rods are as follows:

First of all, they are supposed to avoid false “copper” readings (blue patch color) because of the alloy they use on the end of the rod.

Secondly they claim to have raised the bar a bit on the coating they put on the rods. They say it’s pretty much bullet proof, and they apparently have a pretty decent ball bearing system in the handles. I’m a little concerned about those “foam” handles though. In my experience nothing made of “foam” stands up very well to chemicals.

Thirdly, they are made so that the “Proof Positive Brushes” and “Proof Positive Jags” all screw directly into the female end of the rod. No brass adaptors are required, and the joint is essentially seamless. I really like this.

The rod end is my biggest concern with Dewey. In order to use a lot of the jags and brushes I want to use I’d have to use adaptors, and there are some bizarre thread combinations there. That not only creates a series of joints I’d rather avoid, it also leaves you with the brass (blue patch) issue, and pretty much negates the purpose of using the “Proof Positive” jags and brushes.

The thing is I don’t know anything about the Bore Stix. The Dewey rods are a known commodity to me. They are tough, and I’ve never had an issue with them. But I like the idea of the proof positive system, and Bore Tech seems to have the edge with that. If price is any indication their rods should certainly be high end quality. And I don’t have a problem with that. If the rods are worth it, I’ll pay what they want for them.

So, your thoughts? Has anybody had some experience with the Bore Tech rods and attachments (jags and brushes)? Are they as good as claimed? Do they stand up (especially those foam handles)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advice.

Cleaning rod

I went with Bore Tech because I didn't want to deal with the adapters with Dewey. I also used some cheaper rods before that and they weren't as good as the Bore Tech. The foam handle has hold up but the diameter runs into some of my stocks. There's another current thread where there are pictures of some other rods that are good possibilities and bore guides. - nhk

To your concern about Proof Positive issue, Dewey has brought out a line of Aluminum jags and adapters that will address your concern.
The brass rod tip is far enough back that you patch and solvent should not be an issue.
DanO

NHK - Thanks for the information. What kind of foam are those handles? Is it pretty dense (hard). Given it's intended purpose I'm assuming it's not something that would soak up liquid. I'll try and find that other thread. What section is it in?

DANO - You are just over the hills from me I see. I'll check out the Dewey rods again on their site. What "brass tip" are you refering to? If their rods are SS (coated) and they are now offering an aluminum alloy jag and adaptor - is there still some brass in there somewhere?

Other thread

Look at "Time for a new cleaning rod..." under General Discussion. The foam on the Bore Tech rod handle is fairly dense. I can't say I've gotten any solvent on it, but it hasn't deteriorated any. - nhk

Back