Need help!

V

vinny

If anyone can help answer some questions regarding reloading dies/components for a 40 S&W I would appreciate it. I've never reloaded for a semi-auto handgun before so before I purchase dies and components I was hoping to learn from someone that has experience with this particular case.
The following are the components I'm thinking of using:
1. Winchester brass
2. Federal small pistol match primers
3. Hornady 10mm 180 gr HP/XTP
4. Blue dot & 800X

Equipment
Dies ? Crimp or not?
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!
vinny

Vinny

Most brands are good quality. I just happen to use RCBS. The Lee dies get a lot of good press though. Main thing is to be certain you use a "Taper Crimp" die, not a roll crimp, as the semiauto cases headspace on the case mouth.
Crimp just enough to hold the bullet in place under recoil, and still headspace properly. Just make an unprimed dummy round, and adjust seating die down gradually until desired crimp is obtained.

Dennis

Dies and trimmer

Vinny

Do a bunch of competitive pistol/revolver shooting out to 200 yds. Bulk of it is 44 mag. Have found that the Wilson case trimmer with Sinclair accessories. (Switch between several rifle and pistol calibers so the micrometer adjustment is helpful). The Wilson trimmer will give you square and uniform length cases, and will also uniformly chamfer the case mouth ID.

For sizing and seating, like the Redding competition seater (micrometer head), and carbide resizing dies. Sinclair sells a shim set, that will allow you to tweak your taper crimp die setting much easier than by rotation of the die thread in the press.

Hope this helps

Dave

When I got into handgun reloading fairly heavily I bought my first Starline brass. GREAT stuff, uniform, and tougher than anything. Direct from Starline it's less than from anyone else, and no more expensive than any other. I've only lost a piece of it because I've literally lost it. I've got mostly RCBS carbide dies for handgun loads, but Redding dies are excellent. Their profile crimp dies are very good. One die that's also very good and seems to save overworking cases is the Lyman M die. It's great for cast bullets, and very good for jacketed bullets too.

A loaded round gauge from Dillon or someone else will save some heartburn too. Just drop a finished round into the gauge and if drops right in and doesn't stick out either end you should be good to go. Saves a lot of cussing and fussing, and is well worth the small investment.

One thing I discovered after starting to load for the .45 ACP was the proper taper crimp. Just turn in the case mouth enough so that it doesn't hang up in feeding. I crimp after bullet seating except for roll crimps on cast bullets with good crimp grooves. It's an extra step, but it makes me feel better.

I also got a turret press so that I can screw the pistol dies into it all at once so that I don't have to be screwing dies into and out of a single stage press. A progressive press would be faster, but I want to know that everything's been done as well as I could do it. All the cases have primers, they all have powder, and the bullets are seated and crimped the way I want.

I like Alliant Power Pistol in the 9x19 and .45 ACP, and it should work well in the .40 S&W too.

A good loading manual or two is a good thing to have too.

Back