Need guidance regarding first purchase of accurate .22lr

R

Rock63

I am interested in upgrading from my old remington 512 .22lr to something that is a bit more accurate. I'm not ready to build a rifle yet, just looking for off the shelf reccomendations in a starter .22lr that could be used to shoot tiny groups at 50 yards.

Accuracy at a reasonable price is the goal. Ability to upgrade the rifle as my skills improve is a plus. Thank you for your suggestions.

Is it feasible to get into this for under $800 (plus optics)?

It will be hard. But keep looking. Maybe try for a 64 single shot anschutz, 64 MBR or if you luck out a 40X could be found.
Lew

I am interested in upgrading from my old remington 512 .22lr to something that is a bit more accurate. I'm not ready to build a rifle yet, just looking for off the shelf reccomendations in a starter .22lr that could be used to shoot tiny groups at 50 yards.

Accuracy at a reasonable price is the goal. Ability to upgrade the rifle as my skills improve is a plus. Thank you for your suggestions.

Is it feasible to get into this for under $800 (plus optics)?

Absolutely!
I can offer 3 suggestions of which I have all 3, a winchester 52, I have the D version, a H&R 12 (CMP) which dollar for dollar is one of the the best kept secrets and just about outshoots the 52. I just built a thumbhole benchrest stock for it, and the last is an Anschutz match 64 which is the lightest of the 3 and has a trigger to die for and holds its own against the other 2. All 3 were had for under $600 each. I have 36x scopes on each of them and on a good day with favorable conditions will shoot under an inch at 100 yds, but you'll have to experiment with different ammo. I find if I want to do a lot of shooting without going broke you can't beat Federal Champion at $20 a brick

I would suggest going over and taking a look at the classifieds.

There are a lot of very good rifles that are either already custom or can be done custom at a later date at very resonable prices. There is even a 40x for $800, few Suhl 150s for less then that, an Annie 64 for $600. All ripe for the picking for someone starting out.

Which part of the Cali you in? There is benchrest groups up and down Cali that will be more then happy to help you out.
Bill

I agree with Rod, go for the Suhl 150. It can later be customize into a good/maybe great benchrest rifle.

Fred K

After a 40X every thing else feels like a toy,I only wish i would have started with one.

My goal is to acquire a new, off the shelf, rifle, on a budget.

The Remington 40X new is almost $3,000 MSRP. Not exactly the price range I am seeking. I am upgrading from a 60 year old rusted iron sight rifle that was never properly cared for. Let the new guy learn to swim before you toss him into the deep end of the pool please.

EDIT:
Strike the above, I'm listening intently, keep it coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
The sugestions were for used guns because of the cost but also because of the quality. You can't buy as good a gun as a used 40X, Suhl, or 52. For your price, off the shelf new, I'd say the best available is a CZ American at about 350$. The next step up is a big step.

Rock,
These guys are trying to steer you in the right direction, not lead you down a path of misery of spending your money the cheaper route only later to do what they are telling you more than likely later on anyway. Do it right the first time and get you a Suhl 150, 40X or Anschtuz 54 say 1411 model, or maybe even a 52D. But the trigger becomes a issue on the 52D without spending more money to get a 2oz trigger. The same on the 40X, but you can buy a Jewel for around $160. I would opt for the Suhl 150 for it being one of the most factory accurate barrels ever made as far as gun to gun accuracy. Every Suhl 150 is said to shoot. The trigger can be adjusted down to 1.5oz. I can tell you how to do it. That's where mine is set. I set it there myself.

Here's a few good groups that my original Suhl barrel shot. Mine shot like this from day one when I bought it. It wasn't ammo picky.

23790IMGP0285_Small_.JPG

23790IMGP0302_Small_.JPG

23790Suhl_Groups_Custom_.jpg

I might add that Derek Casey on here bought a used Suhl 150. He said too, it is the most accurate gun that he owns. He is tickled to death with his purchase. Like I said, all Suhls will shoot holes.

Ok, I'm listening, seated at my desk, ready to learn.

Don't give up on me yet.

Off the shelf / "accurate" / under $800

Rock 63,

One problem folks may be having with your question could be the use of the word "accurate". This is a loaded word (literally), and needs to be well defined, as to what you expect from an "accurate" gun inorder to get you started in the right directioin. Also, it would be highly beneficial to know what your intentions are for the gun today, and in the future.

I beleive all of the foks gave you great advice about Anschutz, Suhl 150, etc. Many of the "used guns" mentioned may in fact be better in "accuracy" than anything you can buy "off the shelf" for $800. Further these guns have the potential to be built into great BR guns. That is not true for all the new off the shelf RF guns selling for $800 or less. If new is the qualifying word, you may be limiting your future activities with the gun.

Really comes down to what your intentions and definitioin of accurate are. Without knowing your intentions, the elements of your question (new, under $800, and accurate) may be mutually exclusive. Are you saying:
1.) Get the most "accurate" new gun I can for $800 and live with it forever?? .. (or maybe sell it and move on to number 2. at a later date??)
2.) Get an "accurate" high quality gun for under $800, which could be built into an excellent BR gun in the future??

Maybe some folks will have good advice for option 1, but I think there will be a wide variance in opinions about what "accurate" means in any gun, none the less new and under $800.

May I suggest, that if you define what your long term intents are, as well as what you consider "accurate", many will be able to get you started on the right foot.

There are more people on this forum who have traveled down every road in building guns and defining accuracy, than you can possibly imagine.

You have come to the right place for answers. Keep asking the questions. Hope this helps. Wishing you great success with the project, Doug Miller

Doug Miller gave you some really awesome advice as has everyone else that has posted. One other advice I would suggest is if you are looking at using this "accurate" rifle in the benchrest game, look and see what club is near you. Going by your discription you gave in your location, I could only assume you are in California like I am. If you are close to San Diego, we are having our monthly ARA match in two weeks and would greatly have you attend. We always have extra equipment so you can see and use the equipment used, and can answer probably just about any question you have.

Bill

Rock,

I'm more of a group shooter than I am a score shooter or what I call a good wind shooter. I'm still learning to read the wind. Part of it is my own fault to not shoot in say windy days that kills your scores with all the switchy hard winds. There are tons of guys on here that are better at shooting than me. But I can tell you if you like to shoot tiny holes for groups, the Suhl 150 won't let you down. The barrels on the Suhls are what I call as true to custom as they get. Some Suhl barrels I would bet will shoot just as good are better than a lot of custom barrels. I have a Benchmark barrel on my Suhl now that Gene Davis put on. I would be lieing if I told you that it was'nt more accurate than my Suhl barrel. But the difference isn't by much if you want my honest opinion.

Gary Mitchell had a killer Suhl barrel that kicked a many of custom barrel butts years ago. The custom barrels we have today I believe are more than likley better than they were. But don't expect them to smoke a Suhl barrel. With the right ammo, I believe a good Suhl barrel will hold its own. Lamon Loggins had a killer Suhl from what I have been told.

Talk to people who own a Suhl, and they will tell you how accurate they are. If you know someone who has one, ask them if they would be kind enough to let you shoot it. You will see what I mean. Seeing is believing I always say. My hunch is if you shoot one, you will buy one.

Good luck.

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you from personal experience that the Suhl 150 is the best way for you to go I baught one from Allens Armory a while back and competed with it at our local shoot in the factory stock added only a tuner and it held its own very well. I recently purchased another in a BR stock with a Shilen barrel and it is extremely competitive with Wolfe ammo hope this helps.

Hi Rick,
There is a Suhl 150 listed on GunBroker.com now, and it's in your budget. Give it a look.

my two cents

I have been in the same position you have been. I have found the Kimber 82G from the cmp are an accurate rifle and for the price you cant beat it. For $600.00 you get the sights and manual as well. The down fall though is the trigger, its not bad if you don't mind it being about a pound to a pound and a half at the minimum. There is a gentleman that will do work on them to get them down to two ounces if you are interested. The H&R M12 also from the cmp, is also a really good rifle for the price. But the last time I checked the cmp only had 4 left and the stocks on those were shortened to shoot prone. If you could find one without sights for about $350.00 you would of done pretty good. There are rifles that are more accurate rifles then the two I have mentioned but for someone on a budget they shoot really well for the money. Some have been known to compete against the big boys like the remington 40X or an anschutz.
Hope this helps
Bored184

Kimber 82G from CMP is ordered. That will keep me busy learning to read wind flags till I can shoot as well as the rifle. Then I'll be ready for the next step(s) up.

I found many nice looking used suhl's but I always wondered "why is it for sale", "is the barrel shot out". I guess that's the used car market from the buyers perspective but even harder when you can't kick the tires.

Back