Need Guidance and /or Suggestions

F

Folsom

I am new to benchrest Shooting so I have a few questions. I recently ordered an Anschutz 64 MPR. I am going to purchase a Weaver T-36 but cannot decide if I should mount the scope directly to the receiver or purchase a scope base and use it to mount the scope. The Anschutz has an 11mm grooved receiver so I really do not have a clue as to what method of scope mounting is preferred or what scope rings to use (height and brand).

In addition, I believe the T-36 scope can be had with a Fine Crosshair Dot or
1/8 MOA Dot. What is the difference between these Reticles?

Thanking everyone in advance for your comments or suggestions.

Sincerely,

Folsom

I along with a lot of other Benchrest shooters discovered BKL scope rings a few years back and came to the conclusion that you can pay more or you can pay less but you would be hard pressed to find a set of rings of their quality even at 3 times the cost. ($21)
Most shooters I know prefer the single strap over the 2 strap model.
BKL model 257-A will work great on your Anschutz as well as on a standard 3/8" dovetail.
Here is a link: http://bkltech.com/Merchant2/mercha...e_Code=BKL&Product_Code=257&Category_Code=200

While I am at it you might consider a Sightron 36 BRD instead of the Weaver!! IMO it is a much better scope.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mounting of the scope is always a personel preference. I mount all my scopes using the reciever as it there, why not use it. Here is some rings

The difference between the rectiles is the Fine Crosshair is just two lines crossing each other
highresimage

The 1/8 MOA Dot is just that, two fine lines with an 1/8" dot in the center. This is what is most widely used in rimfire benchrest.
highresimage

Hope this helps
Bill

Aint sure why the pictures don't show, but clicking on the link still brings it up.

I have mounted a Weaver and a Sightron on that same rifle (64MPR).

The Weaver has a shorter eye-relief than the Sightron, and if the set-up is used for any prone shooting, the Sightron has way too much eye relief ... unless you use an offset mount to get the scope further forward on the action than allowed with a straight front mount.

If just used on the bench, either scope will work OK.

BKL rings are good. I use SportsMatch mounts though...they're solid as a rock.

Hose

I have an opinion on dot verses crosshairs. If you are aiming at a dot on the target that is smaller than the dot in the scope you will never be able to hold consistently on the target dot- it will be hidden under the dot in the scope. You can center the dot in the larger rings on the target but this won't be as accurate as centering crosshairs on that small target dot. On a black target the dot is more difficult for me to center than crosshairs. All things considered I can aim more accurately on most targets with crosshairs than I can with a dot.

If you use the dovetail on the Anschutz receiver to mount a Weaver or Sightron you will probably have to put a Unertl type block forward of the receiver on the barrel to be able to establish correct eye relief. If you don't use the dovetail you may end up with a scope mounted higher than you like. I've always found the block/dovetail combination with Millett rings to work best for me.

Last edited:
Back