Need advise on getting a new front rest.

R

ronaldmoiles

I started benchrest shooting 2 years ago (50 and 100 yard) (.22 and .17 HMR) and need to move up to a better front rest. I am currently using a Caldwell and find it doesn't have enough lateral adjustment and when I do make a lateral adjustment it moves my elevation adjustment a little. I have researched different companies and found better quality rests by Hart and Sinclair. Would like to tap into the vast knowledge of shooters on this site for advise on how best to spend my money and get a rest that I will be satisfied with. Thanks. Ron

The best are either a Loggins or a Fulgam. They are hard to beat.
Jim

Ken Fulghum @ Randolph Machine- Asheboro,N.C. 336-625-0411. Ken makes the BEST Front rest, James Pappas has the one piece that most ARA shooters use. Both are top tier shooters and their rest are second to none! James < jaspap9622@att.net>

If you are thinking of a Hart or Sinclair, for the money and support a Cowin rest like the one that just sold in the classifieds can`t be beat!
If you`re looking to spend $800-$1000 either of the Fulghum rests, the one`s Jim mentioned or the one piece Fulghum are the best for the money.
Pete

I'm interested in your rest. Let me know the details.

Thanks,
Tim Pack

The loggins is better designed the Fulghum has several design flaws, they are both very good rests, but the loggins doesnt need to be worked on the fulghum does.

I have had no problems with my Fulgham rest which I have been shooting of of for the last 2 years.
I highly recommend them.

Ken Fulghum and Lamon Loggins both make excellent front rests. Both men are also excellent shooters, and know what it takes to make a great rest.
I think Lamon still makes small runs of rests when he gets enough orders backed up, but I'm not sure. I think I saw someone with a new one at the IR5050 Nationals a while back.
Either of the rests would be a good choice. I've had a couple of Fulghum rests are both were excellent rests, and trouble free. They hold their value well, and that makes 'em worth the initial investment.
I sold the first one I had to a friend who needed one badly, and immediately ordered a new one.
I don't think there's a rest out there thats' faster than a Fulghum, when you want to run a target quickly when your condition comes around. That's an advantage on those days when the wind is switching back and forth a lot.

Design flaws?

The loggins is better designed the Fulghum has several design flaws, they are both very good rests, but the loggins doesnt need to be worked on the fulghum does.

I disagree totally. I would like to know what flaws you are talking about. I think this is just your opinion.

If you go to any RBA or IR match you will see that the Fulghem rests dominate the line.

I have the front rest and the one piece rest that Ken makes and it is my opinion that the Fulghem is the best.

I disagree totally. I would like to know what flaws you are talking about. I think this is just your opinion.

If you go to any RBA or IR match you will see that the Fulghem rests dominate the line.

I have the front rest and the one piece rest that Ken makes and it is my opinion that the Fulghem is the best.

Jody, it is hard to explain the design flaw on the net but it has to do with the way the return spring and horizontal adjustment work, next time I see you I will show you and believe me you will agree it is a flaw, it is fairly easily fixable but it is a flaw.

P.S. I am not picking on the Fulghum rest I am just stating what I believe to be a fact, I USE a fulghum and I love it since I did my upgrade to work around the design flaw.If you have ever had a shot go off after moving up or down for no reason then You push the gun back up and the crosshairs are right where the POI is then you probably have been bit by this flaw.

Last edited:
For a 2 piece rest, I have a Hart base with a Fudd top and never saw a need to upgrade. I did go to an Edgewood Mini-Gator rear bag this year from the Bald Eagle that I used for years and that was a nice upgrade.

I used a Farley style rest at the ARA nats. It was real nice to have the joystick and the ability to move anywhere on the target quickly. They have one with extra travel for rimfire. Farley, Scott Hunter and others make one like this. I kind of like the way it worked.

Jody, it is hard to explain the design flaw on the net but it has to do with the way the return spring and horizontal adjustment work, next time I see you I will show you and believe me you will agree it is a flaw, it is fairly easily fixable but it is a flaw.

P.S. I am not picking on the Fulghum rest I am just stating what I believe to be a fact, I USE a fulghum and I love it since I did my upgrade to work around the design flaw.If you have ever had a shot go off after moving up or down for no reason then You push the gun back up and the crosshairs are right where the POI is then you probably have been bit by this flaw.
Mike,
I know this thread is 17 months old but I am in the Market for a new front rest and have been scouring the internet and came across this thread, I don't shoot rimfire competition, I shoot 1k bench rest and the Fulgham and JJ rests are my top picks, I want to order it in a day or two and was wondering if you could explain the flaw in Kens rest, I would greatly appreciate it, if you don't want to put it out over the open forum could you please email me or I could talk to you on the phone if that would be acceptable,I hope you get this and thanks in advance for your consideration.
Wayne.

waynebezona@cpcinternet.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Back